Chapter 31.

Authors Note

Thank you so much for reading & voting/commenting I truly appreciate it! It really motivates me to keep updating as often as I can!

Follow me on Instagram @EatReadWriteRepeat (:

& don't forget to keep VOTING/COMMENTING 😊

Love you guys! 😘

Enjoy!

Anissa's POV

"How do I look now?" Mariano asks me as he adjusts the collar on his now slightly wrinkled white dress shirt.

"Still drunk," I tell him truthfully as I shift my weight from one leg to the other.

"I guess that's because i still kind of am," Mariano says letting out a laugh as he runs his hands through his now matted down hair.

Id been hiding out in the women's restroom with Mariano for about 40 minutes now and I still didn't feel ready to come out and face Harry.

"Maybe I should just go home," Mariano says leaning against the sink counter.

"Why are you so afraid of your uncle knowing that your drunk anyway?" I ask him even though I honestly don't care.

All I care about right now is distracting myself from thinking about Harry.

"I'm kind of a recovering alcoholic," Mariano tells me timidly as he moves his leg slowly back and forth like a pendulum.

"Kind of?"

"I mean I am a recovering alcoholic," Mariano admits.

"And what does that have to do with your uncle?"

"He put me in some program about 2 and a half years ago, long story short I'm only suppose to have one drink a week, and my uncle knows it," He explains looking down at the tiled floor, "He'd literally kick my ass for breaking my good sobriety streak ."

"So why didn't you just have your one drink and be done?" I ask him feeling a little curious now.

I've always wondered what made addicts relapse even after they'd been sober for years.

"This is the first time I've done something like this since I started the program."

"That doesn't answer my question," I tell him with a small smile.

"It's a stupid reason," he says, no longer moving his leg back and forth.

"I get it. You don't have to tell me if you don.."

"It's because of you," He confesses, looking straight into my now, confusion filled eyes.

Um?

"Well I guess more because of your face," He corrects himself shyly as he begins to explain what the hell he means, "I was ordering the one drink I always get when I come down to the club when I saw you across from the bar, you were taking shots with that guy," Mariano says nodding towards the bathroom door, "It's like the second I laid eyes on you I was reminded of the very reason I began drinking so heavily. You look just like her."

"Like ... who?"

"My girlfriend. Well, ex-girlfriend. She uh...she left me about 5 years ago," Mariano answers, "And you look just like her."

"I watched you for a few minutes, just the way you laughed and smiled," He says, his eyes suddenly beginning to water a little as he stares in the distance, "And before I knew it I was downing an entire bottle of vodka to drown out the memories of Vivienne."