35. try me

I stared out into the seemingly peaceful forest as the moon shone down on me. There was a sort of calm that emitted from the forest but I knew that deep within the trees it was anything but calm. I moved my head around, trying to crack my neck that had become stiff from sitting awake on guard for hours.

"You should go get some sleep." I turned my head to see Sterling standing beside me, a small trace of a smile on his face.

I stood up, handing the gun to him with a sigh, "I don't think I'll be sleeping very much.

Sterling gave me a sad smile, "I'm sorry about your brother."

I shrugged, "Don't be sorry until we know what happened to him. If things go the way I want them to he'll be back in camp by tonight."

He nodded, moving to take my place at guard, "Thanks again for taking my post last night Avery. I owe you big time."

I gave a wave of my hand to dismiss him, "Don't worry about it. We help each other out down here it's what we do."

After receiving a grateful smile from Sterling, I began making my way back into camp in order to begin "Operation Rescue My Friends and Brother" (I was still working on the name). I had barely made it 10 feet when a voice interrupted me. "What was the kid saying to you?"

My eyes unconsciously rolled at the sound of Bellamy's voice. I turned on my heel to see him leaning against the wall, his arms cross over his chest.

"His name is Sterling and he was thanking me for taking his post last night." I answered, staring at him for a moment before speaking again, " Are you stalking me or something?"

Bellamy pushed himself off the wall, "I'm watching you to make sure you don't try and leave camp."

I bit the inside of my cheek, looks like "Operation Rescue My Friends and Brother" was going to be harder than I thought. "You cannot stop me if I decide to leave, Bellamy."

"Really?" he asked, moving closer in attempts to intimidate me.

"What are you gonna do?" I challenged, taking a step closer to him, jutting my chin upwards.

Bellamy smirked, "Avery, I will shoot you in the leg if it means keeping you here."

I clenched my jaw as I took a step away from him. I knew that he would actually shoot me which made this whole situation much harder. "You're evil." I muttered, turning away from him and towards the drop ship.

Bellamy took a step after me, "Where are you going?" he demanded, taking a hold of my wrist.

I pulled free from his gasp, "I'm going to talk to Myles. Don't worry Bellamy, you don't have to shoot me yet."

Bellamy glared at me for a moment before deciding to follow after me. "You're really going to watch me all day?" I asked as I made my way into the drop ship.

He shrugged, "If that's what it takes."

I shook my head, approaching Myles who was groaning in pain. Bellamy position himself at one of the tables, looking over our war plan.

"Hey Myles." I said softly as I took a seat beside him.

He grunted, "H-hey Avery."

I glanced down at his wound where the arrow was still in-lodged, "How are you feeling?"

Myles closed his eyes with a wince, "Bad."

I nodded slightly, not really sure how to proceed with the whole reason I came in here. "Myles, I need you to tell me what you saw when you got taken."

I could hear Jasper enter the drop ship, he and Bellamy getting into a small debate about whether or not we should be going out after Clarke, Finn and Monty. I tuned them out, turning my focus back to Myles.

"I didn't see a thing." he whispered, adding a groan of pain at the end of his sentence.

I bit my lip, already losing my patience with him, "Nothing at all?"

"I got shot and then Grounders came and took your brother and Clarke, that's all I know." he replied.

I continued pushing, "Did you hear anything? Did the Grounders say anything before they took them?"

Myles closed his eyes, shaking his head, "I heard nothing."

I exhaled, slumping back in my seat, defeated that I was no where near close to figuring out where they were.

Myles groaned, "Can I have some water?"

I turned to Bellamy who was now watching us, "Yeah, Bellamy will go get you some." I answered, sending a smirk in the direction of Bellamy who was already rolling his eyes.

"Don't you leave this ship." he ordered, pointing at me before marching off to go get Myles some water.

"Hey Avery?" Myles mumbled, causing me to turn to him in a hurry, hoping he was going to give me some information about Finn. "I'm kinda cold." he whined.

I forced a smile on my face as I stood up, "Okay, I think there's some blankets in the upper level, I'll go grab you one."

A frustrated sigh escaped my lips as I mounted the ladder and made my way upstairs. As I pulled myself into the upper level Jasper looked over at me, instantly noticing the pissed off look on my face.

"Bellamy won't let you leave camp?" he asked as he filled up a container with gun powder.

I began searching for a blanket, "Told me he would shoot me in the leg if I tried, and now I'm stuck playing nurse to Myles and he's cold so I need a blanket. All in all I'm having a great day."

Jasper let out a small laugh as he finished what he was doing, "There's some blankets over there I think." he announced, pointing to the other side of the room.

I turned to where he was pointing to see a pile of blankets under some boxes. "Thanks!" I called as he began climbing down the ladder.

I let out a few mumbled curses as I moved the stuff on top of the blankets to grab one. Once I had one in my hand I turned to the ladder.

"Can you believe Bellamy threatened to shoot me? I mean who does he think he is?" I said to Jasper with a laugh as I began climbing back down to the first level.

"Avery, stop." Jasper's voice was low and panicked.

"Jasper, what's-" I froze as I turned my head to see Jasper standing with his hands up. Standing in front of him was none other than John Murphy holding a gun.

"Get down here and stand beside him, don't say a word!" he snapped at me, moving the gun from Jasper to me. I dropped the blanket, my eyes travelling to Myles who was laying motionless on the bed, his head covered with a plastic bag, Murphy had strangled him.

"Murphy, you don't have to do this." I whispered, my voice shaking as I climbed down from the ladder, slowly making my way towards Jasper with my hands up.

"Yes," Murphy said, lifting the gun higher, "I do."