Chapter 9

Ramin:

This morning he woke up before the alarm. Jumping out of the bed he let out a yawn and walked out of his bedroom. Today was a very special day and he was being more excited than he used to be. It was the 20th of May which meant that it was Sierra's birthday today. He had bought and fixed her a gift several weeks before to get the exact right thing for her and he was extremely excited to give it to her. The special gift was a photo album with pictures of them doing things together. This was also kind of a 10-year anniversary present for their friendship. He couldn't believe that they had been best friends for 10 whole years. To celebrate this, he was going to surprise her with this gift and a cake he was going to bake by himself. Hoping with all his heart that the cake would be good he started making breakfast for himself.

Even if he wasn't the very best at baking he was proud by the outcome of the cake. Sure, it would be better if he would have bought a cake but now it was too late. Now he just had to take a shower and choose an outfit, and as the fashion lover he was he knew he would have a hard time choosing clothes. He walked into his bedroom and to the closet where he kept all his clothes. What was he supposed to wear? It wasn't a big party he was going to, only to Sierra's home. However, he still wanted to look nice. Why did choosing clothes have to be so hard? Would a button up shirt be too fancy? Well, a button up shirt worked for everything, however, a white button up would maybe be too much, or would it? Would Sierra like if he wore a white button up shirt and a bow tie? She would probably think he was cute. Nonononono, no! Just NO! He did not care whether Sierra thought he was cute or not. The only reason he dressed up was because it was her birthday, not because she would think that he looked good. Or, yeah, sure he wanted her to think that he looked well. Maybe even that he was handsome. He quickly pushed that thought away and focused his mind on clothes. At last he decided to wear the white shirt, the yellow bow tie (because yellow was one of Sierra's favorite colours) and black khakis.

The walk to Sierra's flat was both the longest and the fastest walk he had ever done. The cake laid safely packaged in a box which he carried in a bag. In his other hand he held the gift which he had wrapped in a multicoloured paper, where he had written some quotes from both "The Secret Garden", but also other random quotes that people Sierra liked had said. Even though he was excited to meet Sierra he dreaded for the moment to happen. Was he dressed too fancy? Would she think that it was too much with the bow tie? The worst thing however was that there would probably be other people at her place too because it was her birthday and then it would be more people than just Sierra judging him. Why didn't he just call her? Then he would have avoided all these thoughts and nerves. For each step he took the knot in his stomach became tighter and tighter. He would have just turned around and walked home but he did this for Sierra. She didn't turn 36 every day and neither did they celebrate 10 years of friendship each year.

As he came closer Sierra's apartment he saw that she had put up a big white tent on her backyard. His first thought was to turn around and walk straight home. But now it was Sierra's birthday and he didn't want to ignore her birthday. Instead he kept on walking towards her house and tried to convince himself that he only did it because it was her birthday and nothing more. It was only because it was a special day. If he looked on the bright side, there would be other people who would be dressed up and then he wasn't dressed up too fancy. However, there would be other people and he didn't want to meet anyone else than Sierra. The tent just kept on coming closer. Would people think that he liked Sierra because of his choice of clothes and gift? Because that was certainly NOT the case. Sure, they were best friends but nothing more. And what would people think of his cake? It was in no way the prettiest thing he had ever seen. Actually, after a second thought it was rather ugly. Why did he bake it? Well, it was too late to buy a new one now. He just had to live with it and hope that she would like it anyway.