Chapter 4

Chapter Four

I was shaking. 

With the fresh bottle of blood in my hands, all the lights in my home completely off, and the door firmly locked and barricaded with both my couches, I was sitting in the furthest corner of my kitchen area under my desk, curled up in a little ball. 

Once the shock of everything had worn off, the terror had set in.

I didn't really think anyone could blame me since a psychopath had tried to murder me by freezing my lungs, and had then pulled a fucking gun on me, and had then assaulted me, and interrogated me, and had then claimed he was moving in with me and was coming to my house, which he had somehow gotten into at some point -- it was a fucking lot.

"If only youtube were still around," I whimpered, taking a shaky sip of my blood before capping it and burying my face in my knees. "That would make one hell of a storytime."

Knock. Knock!

Every part of my body seized and I dropped the bottle, eyes flying to the door. 

Knock, knock, knock!

I covered my ears and pressed myself against the wall when the doorknob jiggled. The knocks came back with a series of angry bangs that shook the whole foundation but I didn't answer, hell I didn't even breathe until it stopped. 

In the silence I let out a sigh of relief, figuring my visitor had given up and left, but just as I was about to let myself relax a new sound filled the silence and I froze, tilting my head, listening, hearing something odd coming from my bedroom. I tentatively crawled out from under the desk and peered through the open bedroom door.

The window frame was groaning under something of immense pressure. Next thing I knew it was flying upward and a long, burly leg swung down from somewhere unseen. I didn't wait for the rest and instinctively dove for the desk, crawling back under and covering my head.

Inside my cocoon I could imagine the other burly leg appearing in the window space and then a meaty hand. Two meaty hands. One holding a bit of rope to strangle me and the other a plastic bag to take my stuff or my body. To take my stuff and my body.

My ears pricked up at the sound of a light, agile drop, and then my window was closed. 

The intruder had officially, successfully, broken in.

I held my breath when I heard and saw the door open wider -- saw a familiar hulking silhouette with angry orange eyes glinting in the dark appear in my living room. I saw him look to the right as if staring through the pitch black at the couches I'd pushed against the door, but then he turned and looked in my direction, folding those tree-trunks he called arms.

"Oi," he growled, making me flinch. "Come out of there. Now."

I felt, for a moment, absurdly incredulous since it was usually too dark for normal people to see in my apartment when all the lights were off, but I had to remind myself that this guy had somehow frozen me solid with a weird power earlier and his eyes also looked bizarre, too.

If that was possible, night vision might be a thing for him.

Knowing I'd been caught, I fearfully did as I was told and shakily crawled out from underneath the desk, rising to my feet. He tilted his head and lumbered forward, each footstep a menacing thud that made my heart skip a little faster.

I flinched when he stopped, looming over me like a tower of sheer, evil muscle. 

"I thought I told you to leave the door unlocked."