Chapter 139

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Nine

Pain.

As my mind came around, it overwhelmed me and trapped me. I was suspended underwater for the longest time, a maelstrom of emotion that fought to force me back to sleep. My eyes slowly flickered open, revealing that I was alone and under the covers.

My hair was messy, I could smell the faintest hint of shampoo, and I was wearing something soft. I blinked, then blinked again, staring off into the void.

I vaguely recalled being woken up three times before, once to the feeling of something being pressed against my lips, something like a bottle holding delicious fluids that had whetted my sandy, dry, very parched throat and given me some semblance of peace, once to the feeling of hands touching me, smoothing my hair, and once to someone lifting me, gently undressing me, and finally being caressed by water that hadn't managed to rouse me.

Hands had scrubbed my hair, had tenderly washed my body, and I'd sat there unmoving, only partially conscious. I didn't even know who'd done it. I didn't know how long ago those moments had taken place, but judging by how dry my throat was... well, it had been a while.

I felt off.

I was hurting, yet disconnected.

So disconnected, in fact, that it almost felt better. I closed my eyes again and tried to fall back asleep, to sink into the pillow.

I failed.

Miserably

I had to find Sebastian... had to save him... had to get him out of that toxic situation, he couldn't do it himself and I was the only one capable of doing anything, right? If I didn't do anything everyone would lose their memories, one by one, and I would be erased from it all.

My blood boiled and my eyes slid back open, glaring at the wall through the fringe of my lashes. However, my brain momentarily short-circuited in disgust and I immediately rubbed at my eyes, trying to get the gross white crap that had visibly crusted on my lashes, wondering if I'd given myself extreme pink-eye from all the crying. I blinked, feeling clearer, and carefully sat up. My back throbbed and I closed my eyes, just focusing on my breathing.

I attempted to push my hair back but realized I couldn't since it had been braided by somebody. It was also around then that I noticed it was no longer greasy. I realized someone must have put me in the shower when I'd been out.

I thought back over the last few weeks, over everything that had happened including what I'd seen when I'd walked into Sebastian's room despite how bad the mental vision made my blood boil. My heart throbbed and burned and ached but I was stone. It was as if something inside of me had been cut open and filled with concrete.

Solidity.

I was not going to take any further bullshit. I didn't care if I was weaker than Jasper. I didn't care if he tried to hurt me with some strange power. Sebastian was in danger, under the influence of something out of his control, and he was being manipulated into believing a lie.

He was still mine despite what I'd seen and I was going to fight back even harder now. The time for reasoning was over.

Jasper raped him and I did nothing, I told myself, sickened by my lack of action. That bastard raped my fucking boyfriend. They weren't making love, it wasn't his fault... and I know when he comes around he's probably gonna lose it. I'm gonna have to deal with a lot of fallout once this ends, but I have to stop it before it gets to a point where he can't forgive himself.

I wondered if we were already at that point and shuddered, kicking the blankets off and standing up. I closed my eyes, fighting off a wave of dizziness, then took a moment to fiddle with the end of my hair, looking for the tie holding it together.