Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

Louise was skinny, but light she most certainly was not.

The parking lot was thankfully still empty so nobody really had the opportunity to see me trying to drag her heavy self around to the passenger seat, and although I got her settled in safely enough, the sight of her face made me feel a myriad of emotions that I couldn't name.

The fact that she'd accepted me and even offered to donate blood had moved me more than words could ever really describe, but there was a darker part of my psyche that wondered if it was because the shock factor hadn't really worn off.

She'd come running to my rescue after seeing what had been done to me, sure, and I fully admired her courage for doing so... but her reaction after watching me actually drink blood concerned me, because for a second, it had looked almost as if the reality of me had hit her.

Like the "BAM, right in the nose!" kind of hitting.

You know, the kind that could make someone with a certified degree in helping people work through their fucking mental disorders faint from shock. I shuddered at the idea of my issues making my own therapist faint as I fastened her seat belt and shut the door behind her.

"This sucks," I muttered to myself, crawling up into the driver's side. "I mean, damn, I get that its disgusting but she literally gets paid to talk to creepy, crazy, and overall messed up people on a regular basis. I mean, sure, I guess drinking blood might have been a new one... and yeah, I am pretty weird, but aren't I kind enough and cute enough to make up for it, at least?"

I thought about it for a second, but was dismayed to realize that I didn't really know. I was an old, OLD vampire man who looked like a pretty young girl. I cringed at the internal realization, shuddering, nose wrinkling a little before I reluctantly nodded.

I can see it, I reluctantly admitted, slamming the car door shut and adjusting myself. The chair was much too far back, so I had to pull it almost all the way forward, making sure I could reach the brake and gas pedal, and then the mirrors were all wrong so I had to finagle them, too.

Eventually, however, I put everything to rights.

I didn't know where, specifically, we were going... but I knew which direction we needed to go in order to get to Detroit. I hadn't driven a car since the day I turned seventeen, but motor memory was an amazing thing since it came to me like clockwork, and that's why after taking a deep breath I put Lou's vehicle in gear, backed out of the parking lot with the tires squealing, and in a fit of very unabashed frenzy, drove the two of us back onto the highway.

I saw no other cars driving along the same path, which was odd, but the flashing sky and boiling clouds above made me wonder if it was because of the coming storm. There was lightning literally every seven to ten seconds, but still no rain, and it was windy as hell.

I kept my eyes on the passing asphalt, watching the headlights light up the moving snake trail beneath the car. In a fit of whimsy, I rolled down the window and sighed as the night breezed into my face, smelling of car exhaust and pine.

"I forgot how nice being in a car can be," I murmured. "This is great."

At least, until I saw a sign displaying the distance ratio between driving vehicles and realized that I was in a bit of a pickle. I'd forgotten that the roads in America had different traffic laws than when I'd been a kid, and I, with my supernatural speed, had never bothered learning them.

However, since the highway was three entire lanes wide and there were quite literally zero drivers on the road besides myself, I encountered no problems.