Chapter 149

Chapter One Hundred and Forty Nine

It was sweltering hot outside.

I hadn't known it when I'd first woken up, but that Thursday had been the hottest, most humid November day in North Carolina in over a hundred and twenty seven years. The temperature at three in the afternoon had been over a hundred and fifteen degrees with humidity all along the East Coast, and people had been warned all over the place to stay indoors. 

Schools had been canceled, work places had closed, and people without air conditioning had even been forced out of their own homes by police and urged to flock indoors to sheltered areas with air conditioning to avoid heatstroke. 

Apparently, it had been a big deal all day. 

Because of the heatwave, the flight that Sebastian had paid for in order to get Louise, her little brother, and a great deal of their luggage to North Carolina had been canceled.  We'd actually thought she was going to arrive at the house around the time we were out of the shower, but nope! For once, life kicked us in the ass, not something supernatural! 

I knew as much because she'd apparently been trying to call us for over half the day and when Sebastian had finally picked up after the shower, they'd talked about it on the phone for a good long while, giving me time to examine my features in the mirror. 

My eyelashes, my eyebrows, my silvery blue eyes and the exhausted bags beneath them, and my hair... I looked like a ghost. An albino ghost, and it still weirded me out more than words could express. I'd checked my roots, of course, searching for any traces of brown, and I'd even checked my sorry excuse of a pubic bush, but there was nothing there, either.

White, white, white, all white, almost translucent and completely without color. 

"Fine, then, I'll hire someone to pick you up by helicopter, have them fly you to the nearest available airport, and I'll have you brought here by private jet!" Sebastian had barked, glaring at her through the holographic square. "We're not going to let you down so stop your incessant bitching! Your job is to fucking help people, not give them headaches!"

"Well, EXCUSE ME for not being a rich entitled asshole who knows how to travel!" she'd snapped, folding her arms. "Asshole!

"Just be quiet and be ready, someone will be landing on the rooftop of your penthouse in thirty minutes,"  he'd growled. "Now, I have things to take care of. Don't call me until you're off the fucking plane and on your way here in the second helicopter, am I clear?"

"The fuck did you just s--"

But instead of listening, he'd hung up on her and immediately dialed somebody else. He'd walked out of the room, stopping only momentarily to tell me I should finish up without him and then head to the kitchen and wait since he wanted me to take his blood again. I'd nodded before pulling on a pair of denim shorts and a red spaghetti strap tank-top, courtesy of Tiffany. 

And then, I'd gone into the kitchen. 

I'd bumped into two of the Derkshire werewolves along the way, some brawny blonde guy with a tank-top, ripped blue jeans, and a military buzz cut talking to a very, very skinny guy who looked as if he'd been addicted to drugs for more than a few years. His dark hair was slicked back and he had a smattering of facial hair over his lips; they eyed me as I passed, completely silent.

Only, just as I was about to be out of sight I felt a hand touch my hair. I froze as fingers slid through it and turned to see that the big guy had stopped and was staring at my hair as if it were the most interesting and awe-inspiring thing in the world.