Chapter 178

Chapter One Hundred and Seventy Eight

"YOU ARE THE SINGULAR MOST FRUSTRATING PERSON ON THIS PLANET!" Tobias roared into my face as he jerked me back and forth. "DO YOU GET OFF ON CHARGING INTO DANGER AT THE FLIP OF A COIN?! WHY DO YOU NEVER BOTHER REACHING OUT?! WHY ARE YOU SO STUPID?!"

He cursed and dragged me into the fifth hug I'd received so far since we'd returned.

I couldn't even say anything.

Not because I was feeling guilty, but because I was crying and blubbering like a hysterical idiot since my nephew was screaming at me and hugging the hell out of me and my brain didn't know if it was good or bad because he was one of the most confusing people on this planet and--

"For fuck's sake," Tobias choked, gripping my hair. "You should have called us! You should have waited! You got hurt, again, because you stupidly went off on your own and tried to handle things by yourself! Do you not trust your man?! Do you think he's incapable of helping you?!"

"Nooo!" I wailed, hyperventilating past hefty heaving sobs. "I-I-I just... I couldn't--"

"Enough," Sebastian growled, sweeping forward and jerking me away from him; I covered my face with my uninjured hand as I cried, shaking as I was lifted into his powerful arms and cradled against his chest. His hands came up and soothingly threaded through my hair as he slid into the hospital bed and lay back, holding me tight. "Enough... let him be. He's had enough."

"No, I don't think he has!" Tobias snapped, scrubbing at his face. "This stupid idiot acts like a child who can't properly think things through! His mind is too fucking narrow for--"

"DADDY!" Erika finally screeched, making the man jump and whirl to look at her bright red face, which was twisted in anger. "Shut up! He saved our flipping lives! AGAIN!"

"Erika," Tobias tried to growl, but she raised a single hand. "Erika--"

"Nope! Not this time!" she snapped. "If Grannyuncle had showed up even thirty seconds later than he did, Horst and I would be dead right now!

"Ish true," the satyric hybrid slurred; he was situated slightly behind her wheelchair on one of the recliners with a huge bag of ice pressed against his swollen cheek, watching everybody with dazed eyes. "He shaved our ashes... big thime."

"Shush," Miss Clifford immediately warned, sweeping into the room with a very irritable expression and hurrying over to where I was still crying. "Your tongue and jaw are swollen and both need time to heal."

Sebastian's grip tightened and he snarled at her like a wild animal when she reached out to touch me, twisting out of reach and baring his elongated fangs at her.

"Get away!" he seethed, sounding more demon than man.

"Sir, please let him go so I can fix his cast," she said in a soft tone. "After that, I need to change the dressings on his legs and assess the damage that may or may not have been done to his feet from all the moving around he did. I recommend getting out of his bed and putting him back in it until I'm finished. Can you do that for me?"

"No," Sebastian muttered, low in the back of his throat. "Do it all like this. Inconvenient or not, he's not leaving my side for the time being. Am I clear?"

The nurse raised her eyes to the heavens with an exasperated sigh before sweeping forward and forcibly straightening my legs out on top of his. I fought to stop crying as I was gently rolled on my back, and then those thick arms locked around my belly, keeping me trapped against him.

I watched as the woman inspected my splintered cast, watched as she frowned.

"Is... he... okay?"