1.4.6 Sam's Not Dead

"This is my house! You've got your own, go home!" Calum objects as Luke eats a sandwich off his plates in his kitchen.

"I can't," Luke mumbles, his mouth full of food.

"What?"

"I can't. My Mum knows!"

"Well she can go to my PFLAG group at the centre every other Tuesday. I'll get her a t-shirt and a badge," Joy tidies up around Luke, bustling with busyness.

"Mum please!" Calum looks at her, Luke's Mum won't want to go to a fucking PFLAG meeting.

"Mum please what?! I am proud to have a gay son!"

"We know!" Calum yells back.

"And brother," Joy wraps her arms around Dave, including him in her proud circle.

"Thanks sis."

"I've always said..." she continues undaunted, "...it's not who you love it's how you love. Genitalia is simply God's way of accessorising," she says, making Dave wheeze and Luke blush.

"This is not about you and the gay mother of the year award! This is about Michael's one night stand."

"Not just one!" Luke objects to Calum, still with his mouth full.

"Don't bet on it. And who here even cares?"

"I do..." Dave pipes up. His sex life is less than dead, he'd love to hear some smut.

"My dad threatened to disown me, he called me a big queer," Luke pipes up desperately.

"He didn't hit you did he?"

"Oh come on Uncle Dave, you're not going to listen to this shit?!" Calum can't believe his ears.

"That's why I have to see Michael, he'll let me stay with him."

Now Calum really can't believe his ears. "I don't think so," he says gloatingly, knowing full well Michael would never let that happen.

"Well then, I'll...I'll go to Melbourne and become a hustler and sell my body to gross old homo's" Luke blusters.

"I'll give you twenty dollars" Dave tells him seriously before he gets a clip on the head from Joy. "It'd save him the train fare!"

"I'm going to throw up, I've got to vomit."

"Bathroom upstairs, the one for guests and drama queens," Joy points the way.

"It's not a joke you know," she nods knowingly as Calum and Dave snigger at Luke's dramatics. "Gay teens have a very high suicide rate."

"Unfortunately not this one," Calum picks his mobile up and skips out of the way of his mother giving him a clip on the head too.

~~~

Luke wanders into Calum's old bedroom, the one he had when he and Michael were boys, presumably until he moved out to live with Corey.

There's an old dart board on the wall, faded Captain Astro curtains up at the window and a pinboard, above a desk full of trinkets and old toys, full of yellowing photos. Luke's face softens as he spots a familiar face; Michael, and Calum, standing together outside squinting slightly against the sun.

Luke smiles as his eyes travel from photo to photo; a young Joy and Dave with presumably baby Calum, one of Corey and Sam with Calum sandwiched in the middle and another of both Calum and Michael, so young, lying on this very bed by the looks of it.

Luke fingertips touch Michael's face, he looks even younger than Luke is now but even back then there's something about him, something that says he doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks. He's sticking his tongue out, almost like he's attracted to himself. Luke's attracted to his attitude, the nonchalance, the I'll-do-anything-I-fucking-want-and-fuck-you expression on his face. He's seen that exact expression in real life, up close, and it's fucking sexy as hell.

Luke's dick twitches in his pants as he fingers the photograph, he's addicted to the point of recklessness and he doesn't give a fuck.

~~~

"I'm calling his mother," decides Joy.

"It's not our business," points out Calum, picking at the sandwich Luke left behind.

"He may be telling the truth and even if he isn't she's got to be worried."

"She's not worried," Dave pipes up, looking at them both. "Now she knows. It's not drugs. It's not booze. It's just cock."

Joy nods, she knows it's far from the worst thing, but will Luke's parents feel the same way?

Letting himself in, Michael greets everyone, "Hi, how did he find you?" He looks bemused that Luke's ended up here.

"They all find her. And now he won't leave, you've got to do something!" Calum stands up, ready to shout at Michael if he needs to. Luke being here has made him irrationally angry, the boy needs to go.

"Like what?"

"Like, get him out of my house! He's upstairs."

"Alright, I'm going."

"This is not how I wanted to spend my evening," Calum grumbles as Michael walks away.

"By the way," Michael pauses for effect, turning around and smiling at everyone in relief, just before sprinting up the stairs. "Sam woke up. He's going to be okay."

~~~

Luke's still looking at the photos in his hand when he breathes in, the hair on the back of his neck prickling in recognition. He knew it, he knew he'd come. Putting the photos down on the desk in front of him, he smiles to himself right before turning around to Michael, the carpet having muted his footsteps.

"What are you doing here?" Direct as always, Michael's voice is hard, like his dick, and he wields it like his dick too, demanding and fierce at times, and at other times silky smooth and loving.

"Waiting for you."

Luke decides to be just as direct, knowing intuitively that Michael likes a challenge. He can smell Michael's shampoo and cologne, the same scents he's worn both times that they've been together, it's intoxicating. He'd be hard just from that if he wasn't already taking in the sight of his black shirt, soft and clinging to Michael's chest, knowing exactly what he looks like underneath his beautiful clothes.

~~~

"Well it's a relief I'll say that. I like Sam, there's a real sweetheart in there," Joy smiles round at Calum and Dave, comforted by Michael's good news.

Sitting at the kitchen table, in Luke's previous seat, the leftover sandwich now forgotten, Calum lifts his head, getting a sudden pin-prick feeling in his back.

No.

No, surely not.

Michael wouldn't would he? Not in his room?