1.7.4 Smells Like Codependence

"Have some more carbonara Stephen!" Joy beams as she starts to spoon more out of the giant serving bowl in the middle of the kitchen table.

Stephen shakes his head, "I'm stuffed, thanks."

"Oh come on! With that body you can afford to carb-load!"

"You must work out all the time," Dave says, looking at the hunk of a man seated opposite from him appreciatingly.

"Feel those biceps!" Joy says, gripping Stephen's arm with her fingers. "I never could resist a hard body!" she giggles. "Like mother, like son!"

"Like uncle!"

"Would you two please leave him alone?! Next you'll be asking what kind of car he drives and how much he makes!" Calum says with a mouthful of pasta.

Two faces turn from Calum to look expectantly at Stephen who nearly chokes on his wine.

"Er, I drive a Jaguar and I'm comfortable?" He offers as an answer.

Joy beams, never in her life would she have thought Calum would be going out with a Doctor.

"Calum if you don't marry this man immediately I will," decides Dave.

"I think I will have a little more," Stephen says quickly to cover up the sudden silence and Calum's stunned look at his uncle.

"Me too."

"Ah it's like Lady and the Tramp!" Joy chortles to her brother when they both dig into the pasta bowl.

"Lady and the Tramp?" asks Stephen, his tone slightly confused as he looks round the table.

"It's Calum's favourite film."

"When I was nine!"

"See, Lady and the Tramp go on this date to an Italian restaurant," Joy explains as Stephen twirls a long strand of pasta around his fork. "And the waiter..."

"Tony," supplies Dave.

"What else would his name be?! He brings over this big bowl of spaghetti and meatballs. And they put their heads in the bowl, they're dogs," she adds when she sees Stephen just about to interrupt with a question. "And they come up with this one single strand of spaghetti. And they chew and they chew..."

"And they get closer and closer..." chirps in Dave.

"Until finally their lips meet," Joy smiles, clasping her hands together at the romance.

"It is, in my estimation, the greatest screen kiss ever," Calum nods at Stephen, taking a sip of wine. He can't believe he's never seen it.

"Oh I remember it," Stephen says. "Like this..." and, tucking his napkin into the open neck of his shirt with a flourish, he digs into his bowl to pull out the largest strand he can find, before putting one end into his mouth and offering the other to Calum. Joy and Dave look on captivated, as Calum and Stephen get closer and closer to each other until they kiss. 

"That's even better than the movie," Joy whispers to Dave, almost in tears that her son has found such a man as this.

As Calum and Stephen gaze at each other, pulling away from the kiss before coming back for more, their mouths slick with olive oil and red wine, Dave indicates to Joy for them to leave the table with a whack on her arm and jab towards the living room with his thumb.

"Want to see my old room?" Calum asks, his expression full of want that Stephen can't possibly not see or try to ignore.

"I'd love to see your old room," He tells him, wiping his mouth hastily before they leave the table.