1.14.3 A Change of Heart

"Fuck you," Michael says bitterly when he looks up from packing his personal items from his office in a brown packing box that Maggie had found him at short notice.

"Look, I just wanted you to know that I'm really sorry about this."

"Really? That makes me feel a lot better."

"I had no choice! If I didn't do what you wanted you'd have fired me."

"No, you just tried to get ahead by giving head, which, by the way, you're not very good at."

Tom pfffs, "We obviously remember things very differently."

"Yeah! I remember what actually happened!" Michael shouts in his face as he walks past to get to the bookcase at the far end of his office. In reality he needs to punch someone but doesn't want to show Tom that he's managed to get to him so instead he paces around his office like a caged tiger. 

"If I could propose something? I'd be more than willing to forget the whole thing if you'll say you're sorry and reconsider me for that position..."

Michael cannot believe his ears. Or the gall of the man. "You know you have a real talent for propositions!" He tells Tom softly, walking right up to him.

"Would you mind not standing so close?"

"Why?" Asks Michael innocently. "Are you worried that something might happen? Like I might use my position of power to take advantage of your tight little asshole?!" Michael grabs Tom by the lapels of his jacket and walks him backwards into his desk, glaring at him all the while.

When Michael knows for sure that Tom's genuinely scared of what he might do next he shakes him free, stepping backwards.

"Get out of my office," He snarles at him.

~~~

"You know I never realised until I saw it with you that A Night At The Opera is such an epic tragedy!" Sam comments dryly as he and Maddie leave the cinema that night. Retro Tuesday it may be but Sams now wishing they'd seen something more up to date, less obviously meaningful for Maddie, although he can't for the life of him work out why an age old black and white comedy would make her weep like this.

"I'm sorry!" She sniffles into a handful of tissues. "It's just that the party we went to last year, the fancy dress one, Geordie went as Groucho and I went as Charlie Chaplin."

"That would explain it," Sam says, watching as Maddie descends into another fit of tears.

"Nothing personal but I just wish she were here!"

"I understand. Most of my dates wish they were with someone else."

"Oh don't say that!" Maddie whacks Sam on the arm. "You're a real catch!"

"It's just my luck that lesbians find me irresistable!" He face he makes makes Maddie laugh before she hugs him once again confirming to herself that Sam is definitely her best man friend out of the lot of them.

"Holy shit!" Sam says by Maddie's ear, as she squeezes him back, spotting a very dour looking Corey coming towards them with a woman on his arm. Even his hair looks depressed. He turns Maddie around so she can see them too.

"Sam!" Corey exclaims as he spots him, "And...Maddie! Er, this is Elisabeth, my date."

"I'm sorry? I thought you said your date?!" Maddie exclaims, her confusion making her voice seem extra loud.

"He did," Sam says quietly to the side of her.

"We're going for pizza, you want to double?" Elisabeth asks.