1.6.1 The Art of Desperation

Okay, so I'm a gay man with a superhero fetish.

Yes, we're out there. And it doesn't have anything to do with immaturity. I think we gay boys learn a lot of important lessons from comic books;

One, there are a lot of villains out there so you'd better develop some secret powers.

Two, if you have a good body you can wear tight clothes.

And three, it's always good to be part of a dynamic duo.

.

.

.

"I totally blew it," Calum confides to Michael as they walk around Calum's second favourite comic book shop, browsing the aisles and flicking through the racks.

Michael pauses, picking out a comic and turning it over in his hands to read the back, "Don't worry, there are still plenty of creepy old men out there who'd love to get in your pants."

"He wasn't that old! And it wasn't creepy, it was nice. First doctor..."

"He's a chiropractor!" objects Michael sarcastically.

"Well it counts, I think?"

"We got the new cat woman in," announces the shop keeper, coming to stand next to Calum as he eyes up Michael on the other side of the row.

"Cool!" Calum starts flicking through the comic but then turns his head, realising that the guy is still hanging around, and looks pointedly at him until he moves away.

"He takes me to this really nice restaurant. I behave like a fucking idiot, dressed up like some slick asshole," Calum tells Michael in a lower voice, he doesn't want everyone knowing what happened on his date night.

"Hey! That was my twelve hundred leather jacket!" Michael's offended at the description.

"It wasn't me! You know what? I'm a nobody, I guess that's my problem. Are you even listening to me?" Calum asks, seeing Michael's distracted.

"I tune out self pity, it makes my dick soft." Michael scoffs. "And we wouldn't want that would we?" He adds, catching the shopkeeper's eye in a knowing look.

"Forget I said anything. Oh! Wow! Look! An Electra Woman doll! I'm going to buy it for Gus," Calum decides, his eyes lighting up.

"Don't. I don't want a gay kid."

"He's being raised by two lesbians, he's going to need a feminine influence. Besides, it'll be a collector's item," Calum assures Michael, fishing his wallet out of his back pocket.

"I'll take it, I'm going over there."

"I'll go too."

"No," says Michael, taking the item off Calum, smiling at the guy behind the till as he does so. "You're going back to the Doctor, tell him you want to give it another try."

Calum looks between the two men and sighs, no doubt as soon as he's left Michael will be fucking the guy in the store room within a couple of minutes.

~~~

"Does your Mum know you're out buying jewellery?" Chloe asks, admiring a necklace at the street vendor they've just stopped at.

"No. She's totally cool with everything, only she's pretending to be because she's afraid I'll run away and become a hairdresser," Luke flashes Chloe a smile. It's been pretty cool and chill at home in the past couple of days because his Mum's so worried about him taking off.

"I hate you, my Mum's such a bitch and I haven't even given her a reason to be yet!"

"How about these?" Luke shows her a couple of bracelets he's found.