1.21.2 Running To Stand Still

A/n - gif is how I see Michael in the diner at the end of that scene

~~~

"If you see anything in there for an accountant that includes world travel and an expense account you let me know!" Sam tells Jake as they stand in line at the Diner waiting for a table, as Jake looks through the local newspaper for any job that might be suitable for him.

"Sure but first I need a job for myself!"

"You see anything?"

"They all require training, experience, references. Who's going to hire a crystal freak?"

"Former crystal freak!" Sam emphasises the former firmly. "Give yourself a little credit for all the positive steps you've been taking!"

Jake nods, "Thanks to you!" He reaches up and gives Sam a thank you kiss on the lips.

"Hello young lovers!" Corey says quietly and sarcastically well out of earshot, before making retching sounds as he watches them both from a booth way at the back of the diner. His cryptic words make Michael and Calum turn around to see what he's commenting on.

"There are the guys! Come on!" Sam says encouragingly when he catches sight of the three of them.

"Sam Williams happy at last! Fucking unbelievable!" Michael drawls sarcastically but his eyes twinkle as Sam slides in to sit next to him with Jake perched on his knee.

Sam grins at him, hugging Jake's waist, "I know, who'd have thought it?!"

"Keep the passion to a minimum please?" Calum begs. "I have a boyfriend out of town and no means for release!"

"Have you guys seen the new waiter?" Luke asks, arriving in a flurry with a jug of water for them all. Everyone turns to look at the beefy platinum blonde behind the counter, dressed in a white singlet, looking tanned and muscled.

"Yowzers..." Corey's eyes are out on stalks.

"You call that hot?" Michael asks Luke, wrinkling his nose at the new guy.

"Yeah!" Luke nods enthusiastically and grins around the table.

"At your age I guess you would!"

"Oh what? At your age you wouldn't?!" Calum knows full well that Michael would tap that in a second.

"I've moved beyond that!" Michael says somewhat dismissively.

"Oh yeah? Since when?" Corey asks, reluctantly turning briefly away from the beefcake to look at Michael.

"Since last night," Michael tells them, nonchalantly twirling a paper straw in his hand. "I did the hottest guy....in days," he clarifies.

They all roll their eyes, all except for Luke who, as usual, is trying to contain his emotions and jealousy around Michael.

Michael continues, "He's an ad exec from Melbourne. He says I'm too good for here and that I'm wasting my time, he thinks I should be there."

"I bet he says that to all the boys..."

"He said..." Michael glares at Sam to shut him up, "...There's a job at his agency that I'd be perfect for. I've faxed him my resume..." Michael glances quickly at Luke as he says it, before turning away again, not understanding why he needed to look at him just then.

"You're not serious?" Calum asks incredulously.

"So if you get this job you're leaving?" Luke asks, looking horrified at the thought of Michael going anywhere.

"Not if, when."

Corey looks from Michael to Luke, the new waiter all forgotten about. He sees Luke's eyes start to glisten and notices the tiny blink as he tries to clear them. He sees Luke's back stiffen and the resigned look he gives everyone before he smiles a fake smile and moves off to clear the next table. He sees the amount of energy it takes Luke to contain himself and his overwhelming emotion at the thought of Michael moving away. Corey also notices how quiet Calum has got after Michael had given his big news, but the biggest shock to his system is how Michael's eyes glance at and trail after Luke as he moves around the diner.