1.20.8 The King of Arq

A/N - pic is how I'm picturing Michael looking at Luke in the last scene 😍

~~~

Calum shrugs his jacket on as he exits Arq, muttering under his breath about shallow values, looking up in surprise when he hears his mother calling his name.

"Mum?! Maddie? What are you doing here?"

"Where's Michael?!"

~~~

"I was hoping maybe you could help?" Joy asks Michael when they'd found him at the top of the steps looking rather down in the mouth when you consider that it's one of his favourite nights on the Arq calendar.

"I would Joy, but I can't open the bank at this time on a Saturday night..."

"Credit cards?" Joys asks everyone, looking around the circle of friends.

"The maximum withdrawal at an ATM is $500."

"I can cover it," Stephen says, "Will they take a cheque?"

"Only if it's certified," Maddie informs him.

Sam notices Jake leave his side and go up the stairs, stopping half way up to talk to someone.

"Shit! Could they make it any more fucking difficult?!" Joy cries, looking around the group of friends in desperation.

"We're going to have to call a bail bondsman," Maddie concedes reluctantly.

Sam peers around the pillar that he's leaning against, watching Jake gesticulating to the guy, before standing up straight again when he comes back down, not wanting to appear that he was spying on him.

"If you call this number and mention this guy..." Jake hands Maddie a slip of paper, "...he'll put up the bail money for you."

"What was that all about?" Sam says into Jake ear as Maddie starts dialling quickly.

"I asked him for a favour," he whispers back.

"Thank you! Thank you! Erm?"

"Jake."

"Thank you! I'm Joy. That's some friend you've got Sam!"

"I like to think so!" Sam replies, beaming that Joy likes Jake.

"Where'd you find him?"

"It's a long story!"

"Thanks," Calum says quietly to Jake as Sam turns to talk to Joy. "I'm sorry if I've been shitty."

Jake nods, Calum having just confirmed his suspicions that he was coming in between Sam and his friends. "It's because you care about Sam," he says as Calum nods. "But I do too."

"Okay, we're all set! Let's go!" Maddie says to Joy as she comes off the phone.

~~~

"Jesus Christ!" Dave says wearily to Joy as she runs towards him once he's released, seeing Maddie and Calum at either side of her. "Sis, I told you not to tell anyone!"

"There's nothing to be ashamed of Uncle Dave," Calum assures him, "We know you're innocent."

"I just want to go home, can we please go home?" Dave pleads, not wanting to talk for a minute longer.

"I'll take you home right now but first I want you to take your meds," Joy tells him, bustling about, getting her jacket. "I've been trying to get your meds to you all night!"

"It's alright," Dave tells her, looking over at the desk sergeant who's been trying to avoid looking in their direction ever since Dave came through the door. "The desk sergeant gave me my pills."