1.20.1 The King of Arq

"Can you believe it's been a whole year already?!" Joy exclaims as she turns around from putting a large, bold 'TONIGHT' sticker diagonally over the King of Arq poster that's been stuck on the wall of the diner for the past two weeks.

"Since what?" Luke asks as he concentrates on making a skinny long Macchiato topped up, just the way Michael likes them. He's not paying any attention to what Joy's up to or what she's referring to.

"The King of Arq contest!" Corey replies, waving his fork in the general area of the poster.

"It always seems like such a big deal at the time and then like a week later you can't even remember who won!" Calum screws his face up trying to remember who won this time last year.

"Angel Escobar," Sam replies to Calum's unasked question. "5 feet 10, 28 inch waist, a 9 inch cock and a birthmark on the inside of his left thigh in the shape of Placido Domingo."

"Wow, you were paying attention," Corey's impressed.

"Should I be jealous?" Jake asks to Sam's left at the end of the bar. Sam turns to him, tuts that he's even asking such a question and gives him a loving but chaste kiss - after all he is eating garlic prawns for his dinner.

Calum turns his head slowly towards Corey, so as not to draw attention to himself and gives him a look that Corey returns in spades. They're both of the same mind when it comes to Jake and ow he left Sam for dead on his own living room floor. 

"I think I'll skip dessert," Corey mutters under his breath, suddenly not hungry any longer.

"Who cares about a bunch of steroid gym junkies dancing around their jocks anyway?" Michael asks, bored of the conversation.

"Well considering you fucked all last year's contestants, I'd think you?!" Joy asks him with very arched eyebrows.

"God who would do that?" Luke grimaces as he places the carefully made coffee down in front of Michael.

"Who wouldn't fuck Michael?!" Calum grins, a cheeky look on his face.

"No, I mean strip in front of all those people!" Luke turns his nose up at the thought of it.

"For a thousand bucks and trip to The Whitsundays? A lot of guys!" Sam tells him earnestly, he'd kill for a prize like that but no-one would want to see his white body on a stage.

"Especially when you're on drugs! I mean, please, they'll do anything!" Corey comments. "Ooops. Sorry," he adds on when Sam glares at him, unapologetic in the extreme.

~~~

"Jake acknowledges his addiction and he's working on it," Sam matter of factly tells Corey as they walk out of the diner and down the street.

"I've been going to meetings at the Gay and Lesbian Centre..." Jake offers.

"My, my, aren't we a busy little bee," Corey says, still very unconvinced that Sam's not going to get hurt somewhere along the line here.  He changes the subject quickly before he ends up saying something he's going to regret. "So...are we meeting later for the King of Arq? 10 o'clock?"

Calum starts making excuses, "I don't know, I don't think Stephen's going to want to go 'coz it's kind of late..."

"Does he already have his teeth in a glass by then?" Michael asks caustically.

"I'll have you know that he gets up at 6 every morning and runs 5k whilst you're still in bed!"

"I feel that's where I get my best cardio workout!" Michael claps back.

"I'm sure he would go if I wanted him too!"

Michael rolls his eyes, "Uh huh."

"It's true!"