Chapter 29- Meeting Hailey

Ok. Sooo sorry that this is a boring chapter. I needed to introduce Hailey! So there is more to come!!!

***************************************************************************************************************

Today we got to meet our “shadows” for the week. Cat, Ash, and I all worked at a daycare and every once in a while a school had a couple kids sent in to work for the day for community service, something they did in the middle schools and high schools that I never understood. Today we had a high school group with a couple seniors.

            “Hey. I’m Brooklyn.” I said, offering a hand to my shadow.

            “My name is Hailey Madigan.”

            “Well it is nice to meet you Hailey, why don’t we go with a couple of the others to the interview room. There we basically ask you about yourself, nothing scary or weird.” I said, directing her towards the conference/interview room. I tapped Em’s, Cat’s, and Ash’s shoulders as I passed, walking into the conference room behind Hailey.

            “So what are we going to do today and tomorrow?” Hailey asked as we both settled into chairs, me taking the clipboard off of the table next to me.

            “Well it depends on your answers. Today you will be doing intro and some stuff with us, and then you will work all of tomorrow. Is it good to be out of school?” I asked, remembering the terrible, kid-filled halls.

            “Definitely!” Hailey said with a huge grin.

            “Ok. So first question. How old are you?” I asked her, pen pointed over the answer box.

            “I am 18 years old. But I am graduating in November and turning 19 in December.” Hailey replied confidently as I quickly jotted down her answer.

            “Ok. Next question, have you ever worked with kids before?” I said, the question was stupid. Only students with experience with kids were allowed to even interview for this shadow job.

            “Obviously.” Hailey said laughing, she could tell this was a stupid question. “I worked as a babysitter for my neighbor; it eventually turned into a few families on my street. That is about it.” She said, I wrote down everything quickly.

            “Ok. This is the last required question, I do have a couple more for you but this is what is required. Ok, so what age range do you typically work with?” I asked as she sighed in relief.

            “Well, I typically work with anywhere from eight months to 5 years old.” Hailey said as I wrote down her answer, checking the appropriate boxes.

            “Now this one isn’t for the interview. Now I am speaking as a friend when I ask this, are you single? And I am not talking about me!” I said laughing.

            “Yes, I am single.” Hailey said laughing.

            “Ok. Well we’ll see how you are working and then we could possibly be friends, does that work?” I asked her.

            “Definitely! I would love to be friends!” Hailey said smiling.

            “Ok. Well today I am going to put you on toddler duty, you are basically going to hang out with our four years olds.” I said, handing her a folder that held all of the information on the kids.

            After the kids had left, Hailey came by my office for “check-out”.

            “Hey. All of the kids went home. Am I good to go?” She asked, sticking her head in the door.

            “Hi. Come in! I just want to talk to you for a second. Thanks for coming in.” I replied, looking up from my laptop. My laptop gave the appearance of me doing important work but I was secretly watching One Direction videos on YouTube.

            “Ok.” Hailey said, stepping in and sitting down on one of the fluffy pink chairs.

            “So how was work?” I asked her.

            “It was great. I had a lot of fun.”

            “Do you have any plans tonight? I want you to meet a friend of mine.”

            “Nope.” Hailey said smiling, but she also looked confused.

            “Do you like One Direction?”