Chapter 10

Amal

A soft touch.Slow and light, as it slides across my cheeks, like a feather.A gentle touch, so soft that I wonder its afraid that a little force and I'd break.I try to open my eyes but they feel so heavy as if bricks weigh them down.I try once again, but an immense pain shot up from my temples to my head.The excruciating pain spreading through my body as I wince, opening my closed lids.Observing my surrounding.

The early morning light welcomed me, the sun absent with greying clouds as they cover the horizon.My window was open as fresh air roamed around me.I squinted my eyes as I peek at the sky from where I lay on the bed.Strechting my limbs I sign, a ticklish sensation ran down my wrist, as I tilt my head to the side.A tube was attached to the back of my hand, the other side of the tube attached to a plastic bag filled with a clear fluid as it drips drop by drop in the tube, the bag hanging from an iron stand placed near my bed.I sigh, laying my aching head on the soft pillow, confusion clouding my mind.

The last time I remember, I was crying in the washroom.Maybe I fainted in the washroom.Using my free hand, I pull the warm comforter more towards my burning body.A soothing sensations lulling me to sleep.Just before I close my eyes I see Marwa sleeping, curled in the armchair.Her brown shawl covering her body as she sleeps soundly.

Not able to contain the sleep anymore, I allow it to take over my senses.

***

I hummed turning a little to my side, breaking my deep slumber.Someone holds my cold hand before the needle with the cannula piercing my skin is taken out.A soft cotton rubbed against my skin and a bandage is pressed at the back of my hand.I turn a little to Gulshan as she smoothed the bandage, a smile curving her lips.I move my eyes to Marwa's standing form, not able to return Gulshan's action.

Marwa too smiles at me, as I stare at her.Her hand reaching towards my forehead as she sat at the edge of the bed.

"How are you feeling now?"She asked in a soft tone.

"Fine.."My voices came out hoarse as if my throat was rubbed with sandpaper.I clear my throat seeing Marwa nod.Gulshan turns around before whispering something in Marwa's ear and walked out of the room.Once the door to my bedroom is closed, I ask Marwa,

"What happened to me?"

"You passed out in the bathroom, under the shower.Gulshan came up to check on you but you didn't open up.Jalal wasn't home so using the spare key we unlocked your bedroom door and found you in the bathroom.Gulshan called the doctor and we helped you out of your clothes.The doctor came and said you fainted due to stress and weakness.She said we should get you hooked up to the IV so.. The rest you know."She completed as I fist my hand.My hand that was attached to the tube was cold, my fingers stiff as I clench and unclench my fist.My breathing became shallow as Marwa caressed my head, my hair sprawled on the pillow.

"Where are the kids?"Marwa was here all night taking care of me so it was obvious I ask.

"They are sleeping in my room.Gulshan was with them."She informed her fingers running in my thick locks as Aunty Shahana would do.

"Amal.. get fresh.I'll bring breakfast for you."She stands up but turns towards me as I sit up.

"Do you want me to stand outside the washroom?"She asked unsure.Her eyebrows turning into a frown.Shame washed over me as I shook my head at her.She had already changed my clothes, I couldn't ask for any more favors.

Wearing my slippers I stroll towards the washroom.Opening the tap, I intended to splash some water on my face but the sight before me makes a gasp ripped off my mouth.