Chapter 8

Amal

(Almost three years before)

Filling the information on the form, I helped the older lady to sign her name.Holding her hand I led her to a room where another nurse was waiting for us.Biding bye to the nice old lady I came out from the room to help some other patients.

Reaching the reception I asked the girl behind the counter if I was needed by any of the doctors, as she politely declined.A small boy came in with his mother, blood running down his arm.The crying boy sat on the bench as his mother rushed to the reception asking for aid.Seeing the boy wail in pain I offered to assist his gash.

Cleaning the gash I put some antiseptic, the boy was still crying, big tears rolling down his round chubby cheeks.Pinching his cheeks, I asked trying to distract him,

"What's your name?"

"Faiz Bahadur Khan.."He sniffed rubbing his small fist on his eyes.An expected 'aww' left my lips seeing him look at me.

"So Faiz, tell me how did this happen?" I asked rubbing the cotton softly on his arm.

"I was riding my bicycle, when I fell down."He informed, his cries now stifled.

"Ohoo .. You should be careful you know.."I said softly.

"And why are you crying so much, you are a very brave boy, you should not cry .."I added seeing his eyes wide in surprise maybe.His brown eyes shined as if he was imagining himself to be superman.

I giggled seeing him smile too which soon turned into a laugh.When I finished bandaging his bad arm, I offered a lollypop to him.

"Thank you."He said shyly.

"You welcome.You are very cute."I stated pinching his soft cheeks.

"And you are very beautiful."He surprised me by saying.My grey eyes wide at his little confession.Soon his mother came and they went.Just as I walked out from the small room in the clinic, the scene before me left me baffled.

A crowd was gathered of large bulky men dressed in black kurta shalwar as they yelled at the only male doctor present in the clinic.

My heartbeats increased looking at the dangerous men.Some of them even had guns.The commotion cleared a little and a man stepped forward like a leader among rest of them.

Dressed in crisp white kurta shalwar with a black waistcoat, he stood proud and intimidating.His dark eyes roamed around the small clinic, his jet black hair combed backwards and his beard was trimmed to perfection.His shoes polished as his arms were folded behind his back.Like a hawk his predatory eyes clashed with my grey orbs making my breath hitched.His eyes roamed down my face and body making me take a step back although there was enough distance between us.My hand unconsciously moving towards the edge of my dupatta as I pulled it across my face, hiding away behind my niqab.

Although I wasn't a niqabi but the way his eyes assessed me, made me uneasy and uncomfortable.He narrowed his eyes at my actions, glaring my way.Fear froze my mind as I stood there only getting negative vibes from him.

The other five men yelling and fighting had stopped as they too stared at me standing besides the 31 or 33 year old man, their boss.My eyes glanced around the other staff only to see them as fearful as me.

The man in white clothes whispered something to the other with a gun.He turned to the doctor and asked in an authorative and cold voice, his loud voice booming across the walls,