Chapter 18

We'll Always Have Bourbon Street

❇❇❇❇

The special thing about pain is that you don't feel it until you realize you're doomed.

❇❇❇❇

New York, 1942

"Come on Nik, you know we want you to come with us." Lexi pleaded as she and Stefan looked at him with their best puppy faces.

"Yeah, those stupid faces aren't gonna work on me. I'm not coming to New Orleans with you both." Niklaus dismissed flatly.

"Nik, we both know that once I'm off to war you're not gonna see me for a while. Atleast come with me to see me off?" Stefan asked again making Niklaus sigh.

"Stefan, I understand, trust me I really do. But returning to a city where I lost everything is too painful for me. I can't go back there, not right now atleast." Lexi and Stefan glanced at each other in regret. Nik was hurting and they shouldn't have been pestering him to come.

"Nik, it'll all be fine one day, you know." Lexi said softly as she gave his hand a gentle squeeze making him smile sadly.

"I know. I just need more time."

"Well then, I sure as hell am gonna miss you both!" Stefan said as he sat down beside Nik and clapped him on his back.

"Whose stupid idea was it to send you to war, again?" Niklaus asked, sarcastically staring between his two best friends.

"I kinda need it after my ripper bender, Nik." Stefan admitted remorsefully. His years as the Ripper of Monterey continued to haunt him every time he closed his eyes. It killed him that his lack of humanity drove him off the wagon and made him do things that he would never even think of doing.

"We all have our dark days Stefan. I'm just glad that you're back to us." Niklaus spoke truthfully making Stefan smile halfheartedly.

"But wait, why are you guys going to New Orleans right now?" Niklaus asked in confusion.

"Well, Damon is in New Orleans and I thought it would be a good idea to have them both mend their relationships." Lexi said making Niklaus scowl.

"And what's to say that you'll come back to the two of us after you 'mend' your relationship with your brother?" He asked with a pointed glare which only made Stefan chuckle.

"Oh, come on Nik, the three of us always find our way back to each other. Humanity or not, we are a family who will stay together." Stefan spoke looking at the two making them grin.

"Always and Forever!" Niklaus vowed before the two repeated after him as they shared the one last group hug before Stefan had to leave.

For Niklaus, Lexi and Stefan were the pillars of his life. He couldn't imagine being without them and it was true that they always found a way back, no matter what.