Chapter 21

Catch Me If You Can

❇❇❇❇

Sometimes the acts of betrayals come with forewarnings and it fucking hurts when those are proven right.

❇❇❇❇

Shallow breaths echoed through the walls of the mansion in the quiet of the night, Isabelle who was yet again facing the wrath of her nightmares shifted and withered in pain in her sleep. Ever since the vision she had of her beloved, all she could think about was him with a woman that wasn't her and it was eating her up on the inside.

Niklaus had insisted he stay with her for the night because he feared that this night was going to be a tough one for the angel. And it indeed was.

At first, she could barely get any sleep because of which, Niklaus stayed up beside her trying every way possible so she could sleep. And once she did, the dark world behind her closed eyes wasn't letting her be at peace at all. All she could see was the repetition of the painful vision she had hours ago.

"No...Elijah...no don't..." Soft whispers fell off her lips as sweat covered her body in a thin sheet and she shivered knowing she was stuck in an endless dream displaying her worst fears.

Niklaus, who had just slept, woke up due to her voice falling in his ears. He was quick to be back by her side as he took her hand in his and placed another on her forehead trying to wake her up. But before he could, he was sucked into her nightmare.

Niklaus found himself in a cold and dark alley, he stood by the corner as he watched Isabelle walk through the darkness with tears streaming down her eyes. She looked fragile and scared.

"ELIJAH?" She yelled out looking around frantically, as if trying to find him. Niklaus took a few steps towards her.

Suddenly, a shadow passed around the corner making her turn towards it in a quick motion, "Elijah, wait!" She called out as she ran in the direction the shadow disappeared. Niklaus ran behind her.

But, there was nothing except the infinitely spread darkness. She looked around worried and afraid as Niklaus observed her carefully. He wanted to see how her demons haunted her when she couldn't get any peace. This was the first time he was witnessing her weakest moments like these and till now he was petrified. All this was too horrible to imagine.

Suddenly both could hear the laughter of a man. Isabelle recognized it as that of Elijah. Although rarely, but she had had the opportunity to hear the noble Mikaelson laugh and it was no less than music to her ears.

Finding a ray of hope, Isabelle followed the sound eagerly. Niklaus took careful steps behind her. Coming to a stop she finally entered a dark room with the only light source being a few candles. She could see the silhouette of a man in the middle of the room.

She smiled hopefully and took a step towards the shadow only to stop dead in her tracks as she felt her throat choking on air, finding it more difficult to breathe by the second.

She stood there in shock as a woman appeared in front of Elijah and they smiled at each other before joining their lips for a warm kiss. As if two lovers had been reunited after a long while.