Chapter 19

O Come, All Yeah Faithful

❇❇❇❇

Hold me tight as we walk into the sun. Let the fire lick at our skin whilst the fire in our heart continues to grow.

❇❇❇❇

Silence surrounded the room as Elijah and Isabelle sat facing each other on the edge of his bed. The somber expression on his face a while ago when he had arrived home was a massive give away of the fact that Elijah knew the truth. 

The betrayal that shone through his glossy eyes was enough to make her realize that she had screwed everything up by hiding the truth and doing exactly what she never wanted to do—break his trust.

She knew what it felt like when someone you loved lied to you and she hated the people who did. But now, she was one of them and she had no words on how to explain herself or justify her actions because nothing she did could lessen the hurt he was feeling.

Elijah on the other hand, had his fists clenched around the material of the bedsheet because he was trying his level best to not say anything that he didn't mean. 

Never in a million years would he want to hurt her. His mind was flooded by the reality that by the end of the night, he wouldn't have her by his side and no matter how much he wanted to fight, he knew that he wouldn't be able to match up to whoever her mate was.

She had come clean about having a Parabatai, the minute they had entered his room and he now knew that Isabelle belonged to someone else. Someone who wasn't him.

Although, what neither of the two thought about was what it took to be her Parabatai. None of them thought about how Elijah was able to wield the Soul-Sword, or how they could sense each other's presence or how they just knew if the other one was in danger. 

The possibility, that they could very well be each other's mates never crossed either of their minds and that was what made the whole situation all the more miserable.

"Say something."

Isabelle's meek voice broke the silence that surrounded the couple making him screw his eyes shut and take a deep breath before opening them to look at her. 

His eyes had a screen of gloss covering them, indicating her that he was trying his hardest to not allow his emotions to flow. He wanted to be strong in this and she hated herself for doing this to him.

"What do you want me to say now, Isabelle?"

His voice almost cracking and her full name falling from his lips made her flinch visibly. She had gotten used to him calling her 'Isa' and the way it sounded from his lips always made her heart leap in delight. 

But now, instead of the loving tone, his voice held sorrow and she couldn't decide what was worse–him feeling betrayed or her knowing that they wouldn't be able to be together anymore. She found neither option appealing at all.

"Why did you have to lie to me?" He asked softly, looking straight in her eyes as her gaze fell down in shame.

"I don't know if you'll believe this or not, but after coming back to life, my first concern was saving Nik and then when we spent our time in the woods beside my son's name, I never felt so secure and safe. I felt at home, Elijah. I felt complete and that feeling made me forget about this whole bond thing altogether. I know this is a very measly excuse and I can never justify my actions but this is my truth. I never thought about it until a few days ago and since then, I've been trying to gather up the courage to talk to you." She spoke in a heavy voice and by the end of her speech, a scoff fell off of his lips.