⚜Chapter 26⚜

Chasing the Devil's Tail

❇❇❇❇

What happens when blood relations become the reason for your worst pain?

❇❇❇❇

"NO!"

"TELL ME THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN, NIK!"

"YOU COULD HAVE PROTECTED HER!"

"I'm sorry, I failed you, brother."

Those were the words that echoed in the compound when the Mikaelson brothers had entered their home with a limp Rebekah in their arms.

Those were all that echoed through Jeremy's head as he sat on the coffee table in front of the couch his blonde girlfriend laid on.

It had been seventeen hours since they returned and she still hadn't moved. And nor did he.

He knew she was coming back. No matter how, but she was. She had to.

They had just begun their journey. They were too young to lose each other so soon. They were too in love to be able to live after a heartbreak such as this.

At least Jeremy knew he was. He would not be able to bear seeing her as a human. Not because she would grow old or wrinkly.

But because he knew he wouldn't be able to accept that their eternity was only to last a few more decades. He just won't be able to live with that.

He knew when she would wake up next she won't be who she was.

He knew it would pinch her more than it would hurt anyone else and he also knew that it would be difficult for her to adjust to being a human.

But most of all it was difficult for him to admit that this was it. That this was all he was going to get with her and after that, Rebekah Mikaelson would just be felt in the air surrounding him or through all the ferocious deeds she did all her life that led to revolutions.

Jeremy scrunched his eyes as he disregarded all his racing thoughts whilst his knee bounced off the ground anxiously and he held her still hand in his shaking ones.

Upstairs, Isabelle watched her brother from the balcony as Rusty sat protectively near the blonde Original's body while Jeremy's eyes never wavered from her face.

She let a sigh escape her lips as a lone, cold tear rolled down her cheek when she remembered the events that led them to this.

She could have prevented this. She could have been more careful. She could have saved Rebekah.

Shaking her head, she walked back inside the study where she had placed a spell so their family's yelling voices wouldn't reach Jeremy.

"THIS IS YOUR DOING NIKLAUS!" Kol screamed as he lunged forward to hit the hybrid again as Elijah yet again threw him off and pushed him back.

"Fighting each other won't lead us anywhere!" The elder Original affirmed while Kol still glared at Niklaus who glared back with equal harshness.