⚜Chapter 23⚜

Every Mother's Son

❇❇❇❇

Her heart rules her actions but her mind protects her heart.

❇❇❇❇

Mystic Falls; 998 A.D.

It was a cold winter night. Piercing winds blew through the small village as most denizens prayed to the gods to help them get through the unkind weather.

At the stroke of midnight, a harsh knock rang through the Bennett witch's hut startling her poor soul as she woke up with dread engulfing her heart and made her way to the door whilst wielding a makeshift stake for her protection against any intruders.

The ragged wooden door opened with a loud creak echoing through an otherwise silent night. The witch stood behind the door, ready to attack when suddenly she squinted her eyes at the hooded figure that entered. The person looked awfully familiar.

"Esther?"

"Yes, sister Ayana, it is I." The Mikaelson witch spoke removing her hood making the Bennett sigh in relief as she dropped her weapon.

"What odd timing is this? What can I assist you with?" Ayana spoke trying not to sound rude even though she was genuinely curious and mildly annoyed.

"Forgive me, my friend, but I'm afraid I have to seek your aid." 

Ayana's eyes widened, "At this hour?"

The sheepish and urgent look on Esther's face made the onyx-haired woman sigh as she refrained from letting her distaste show on her face when she stepped aside and allowed the Mikaelson witch to enter.

"You know of the great loss that I have suffered a few moons ago. My youngest now rests with the gods." Esther began to speak as Ayana made some tea for her and gave a sympathetic smile to the grieving mother.

"Mikael urges me to do something to ensure that the rest of our children do not suffer the same fate as my boy because of the beasts we share this village with." 

Ayana nodded to encourage her to continue, "I have heard of a spell, written by one of your ancestors to summon the ruler of our world. It is said that if one pleases her, she can grant all our wishes."

Ayana's eyes widened, "Esther! Such matters are not for amusement!" She scolded.

"I am not in the mood for humor either. I can assure you that the lives of my children are all that matter to me and I shall do anything to ensure that they survive!" Esther spat, a little emotionally before she schooled her forlorn expressions once again.

"You are a powerful and experienced witch, Esther. You should know of the consequences if you end up angering the angels instead of pleasing them." 

Esther looked displeased with how Ayana was not being cooperative.

She sighed, "I would not have been thinking of such extreme notions if it wasn't a question of life and death. If I do not do something now, my line will end with the bloodshed of my entire family. I will not have that."