⚜Chapter 17⚜

Moon Over Bourbon Street

❇❇❇❇

Darling, I would burn for you.

❇❇❇❇

A month. A month had passed since anyone last saw the living Mikaelson siblings under the same roof. 

As per Niklaus' demands, Rebekah and Jeremy left the Quarter the same night they were freed from the cemetery, never to look back again. 

The hybrid had made his wishes clear that he did not wish to see his sister, at least, not for a long time. 

Rebekah understood why her brother required her to leave. It wasn't because he was afraid he would kill her in anger, it was because he was heartbroken. 

She was the only one who had stuck by his side, the longest, and when her treachery was unveiled in front of him, he could not help but feel that their entire relationship was based on a lie. 

He could not bear to look at her without seeing the visions Genevieve had shown him in their time in captivity. 

He needed some time apart from her so he could find it in himself to look past this and remember how innocent and loving his sister was. He needed his space so he could ponder where he went wrong and which of his actions led to Rebekah taking such a drastic step. 

She understood that. If the roles were to be reversed, she knew she would have acted the same way. 

There was sadness in her heart that she was forced to leave her family behind in a time when they might have needed her by their side, but besides that, she felt freer than ever.

She spent her days with Jeremy, traveling the world and exploring their relationship. She was happy to have him by her side. She could not possibly imagine spending her time in exile alone. 

Jeremy had forgiven his sister for compelling him and not informing him of Kol's demise. He knew her reasons and she was the only family he had. He knew her to need to protect him and not for a second did he compare her actions to Elena's past ones. 

Seconds before Isabelle had compelled him, Niklaus had his life in his hands. He knew that the hybrid was unpredictable and thirsty for revenge and hence, it was necessary for both Isabelle and Rebekah to send him away so Niklaus could not exploit more of their vulnerabilities. 

He did not hold his elder sister's actions against her. 

The couple was free. They could go anywhere and spend their days away from their families without the threats on their lives looming over their heads. After a very long time, Jeremy Gilbert and Rebekah Mikaelson felt at peace.

The French Quarter, on the other hand, was far from peaceful. It was in shambles and the loud cries of utter chaos yearned to fall back into an order, a system.

Witches and vampires were once again in a cold war. The werewolves that had been cured of the Crescent curse doted on Hayley in hopes that she would help them find their rightful place in the supernatural hierarchy of the city again. 

Davina was once again reminded of why she hated the witches soon after she took her place in their coven. Genevieve and Monique were always intent on giving her the cold shoulder because of her close connection to the vampires and her powers being surprisingly stronger than either of them.