Chapter Twenty Five

"Here. One set of Big Mac with extra fries. Just as you requested."

I glanced at the plastic of food that Taehyung just dumped on my lap in disinterest before looking back out of the car window.

Even burgers don't fascinate me anymore.

As if sensing my sour mood, Taehyung let out a dejected sigh before pulling the driver's car door shut and turned on the car radio, some kind of boy band now playing through the speaker.

After that I listened to him rifling through the contents of his own plastic bag, the material rustling about.

While he was busy fulfilling the end of our little deal in the restaurant, I had been instructed to sit still in the car which I used as a chance to calm myself and somehow managed to went through a few brief phases:

1. Anger

I was angry at Taehyung, for leaving me alone and unattended in the ballroom which led me into this huge mess that I just caused. I was angry at Yeri, for being rude to the server and also for throwing the food at me. And above all, I was angry at Jungkook, for doubting me and belittling me in front of everyone else as if I don't have any emotions.

2. Acceptance

I realized that whether or not if Taehyung was with me at that time, I would have reacted exactly the same way. I realized that if I had attempted to speak softly with Yeri, then maybe she wouldn't have thrown the food at me. I realized that Jungkook had the right to be mad at me since I'm the one who attacked her girlfriend physically first- although she was the one who provoked me but I just let it slide during the time what with trying to be accepting and all.

3. Sad

I feel sad because I actually cared.

And as if to make matters worse, I only realized that the laces on the front of my dress now was completely ruined. Completely. Now I have to pay a huge amount of money for a dress that I'm not even going to wear anymore.

"Look, I just want to say sorry about Yeri's behavior earlier.", Taehyung finally said over the low sound of guitars and piano to fill the stretching silence.

I turned to look at him in confusion.

"You believe me?"

He quickly nodded before reaching for his own burger and began unwrapping it, "I believe you. I grew up with her so I'm already used to her childish antics."

"So you're saying that she has been a bitch ever since she was a baby?"

At my colourful choice of words, Taehyung suddenly choked on his food before going into a short coughing fit.

"I'm saying that she can be quite a handful at times, but its actually more of her defense mechanism.", he managed out after recovering all the while patting slowly at his chest.

I just stared at him as he reached out for a drink from the driver's console area, "Defense mechanism from what?"

"Uh, let's just say that she tends to be very cautious with other people. Its also one of the reasons why Jungkook is protective of her like his little sister.", he answered nonchalantly after taking a sip of his drink.