Chapter Seven

I wish I was dead. But oh no that would have been the easy way out. I opened my eyes in an uncomfortable hospital bed. The room was a lime green with little kiddie stickers on the walls. Mum was sitting next to my bed reading some trashy magazine with Kim Kardashian and Harry Styles on the cover. I painfully reached up to where my bandage would be.

“What happened to me?” I asked trying to act clueless. Even though I knew exactly what had happened.

“You fainted and tripped down the stairs at school. You needed 17 stitches. How you managed to do that much damage I have no clue Jessica.” Mum answered tiredly.

“Oh Ok.” I abruptly ended the conversation.

Mr Carrigan and Josh were a ruthless combination. They push and push you until you’re just about to die. When you’re ready to face the end. They save your pathetic life. It’s the worst torture.

After numerous bandage changes, pain medications and reaction time tests; I was eventually allowed to leave the hospital. Being in the car was a nightmare. Every bump in the road caused a jolt of pain to my head.

My life was becoming a daily struggle. I finally went back to school 2 weeks after my accident. I stupidly thought that today would be easy. Maybe I could catch a break? Of course I was wrong.

The now familiar cold shudder rattled my body as I walked through the gates of South Grafton High School. It was a relatively chilly day. I was half way down a flight of stairs when my blood ran cold. Mr Carrigan and Josh were talking near the B Block entry. Mr Carrigan saw me and smiled. Not wickedly, but in a surprisingly polite fashion. Exactly how you would not expect a devious drug lord to smile.

Mr Carrigan strode towards me. He wore a grey hooded shirt and board shorts. I don't know what style he was trying to pull off, but this teenagery atire wasn't working for him. Josh left leaving myself, and Mr Carrigan standing out in the crisp Monday morning air.

“Jessica” He started.

I replied not with any words, but an icy stare. He smiled again at my expression.

“Jessica you’ve been in the business a couple of weeks now.”

No reply.

"I believe its time for you to see the lab.” He drew out the sentence slowly. Then he smiled. The old wicked smile had returned to his face.

I sighed. A deep, heavy sigh.

“When?” I questioned, my voice full of exasperation.

“Lunch, first half. Don’t be late.”

And with those words Mr Carrigan walked off.

After my conversation with Mr Carrigan I decided I needed company. I went down to the basketball courts completely forgetting everyone hated me. My group welcomed me with frosty gazes. I immediately felt uncomfortable and began mindlessly shuffling my feet. Tiarna was the first to speak up to me.

“Uh…” she paused for a moment trying to think of what to say. “What are you doing here?” Her tone was sharp.

“Can I sit here?” I said motioning to the vacant spot on the large green seat.

“Sure!” A bright voice said. “Us head trauma’s have to stick together.” They laughed a quiet, short laugh. The voice was Jack. I managed a weak smile and sat down. The rest of the morning I looked down shoes, not looking anyone in the eye. I knew my presence alone was creating an almost unbearably awkward atmosphere.

My first class of the day was Commerce. A class I didn’t particularly want to start the day with. I sat alone in the corner of the classroom. I had absolutely no idea what was going on. So it really sucked when Miss Reeves started talking directly to me.

“Jessica can you define Superannuation?”

I stared at the little drawings in my book. Not listening to Miss Reeves.

“Jessica.” She said more sternly.

"Uh what?” I said loosely.

“Answer the question.” She said clearly already fed up with me, and my ‘antics’ as she would put it.

I felt the whole classes eyes on me. About two-dozen eyes directed straight at me.

“I don’t know.”

"Yes you do, I just told you."

"No I don't, if I knew the answer I'd tell you wouldn't I?" I snapped.

“Well I need to see you after class then.” She said smugly. She shifted her body on the chair so she was facing the other side of the room.

I sighed. I seemed to be doing a lot of that lately.

“Ashleigh, can you please answer the question?”

“Sure.” Ashleigh said happily. “Superannuation is a regular payment made into a fund by an employee towards future retirement.”

Of course Ashleigh knew the answer.  

After class I attempted to leave the room without Miss Reeves knowing. I failed miserably as I heard her call my name. I whipped my body around and knocked a girl over in the process.

“Sorry.” I said shyly. The girl glared at me and stormed from the room.

Miss Reeve’s just shook her head then started talking to me in her calm, high-pitched voice.

“Jessica I have noticed quite a drastic change in you behaviour lately.”

I hated the word ‘drastic’ people just say it to sound intelligent or dramatic. I dislike it even more when it’s used it a book.

“Jessica did you hear me?” her voice hinting with disdain.

“Yes I heard you.” I retorted.

“Well you need to do something about it. I noticed your grades are dropping in all classes.”

Miss Reeves just looked at me, waiting for a response I was not going to offer. She realised this and sighed.

“Jessica, I am concerned about you education. You need to care about it as well.” She smiled her fake smile.

“Guess what?” I was yelling now. “I honestly couldn’t give a fuck about my education. And I am sick to death of you stuck-up teachers pretending to give a fuck about me!” My sudden change of mood shocked me, and by the look on Miss Reeves’ face she was just as taken aback.

“Excuse me?” her words flavoured with rage.

I turned around and stormed out of the classroom. I was furious for no reason. I was probably going to regret my little outburst in the near future. I walked to my next class. I was about 15 minutes late and didn’t bother getting a pass from Miss Reeves. I had discovered a shred of my luck when I turned up and the history class was still outside waiting for our teacher. My face fell when I saw Beau staring at me. It wasn’t a look of friendliness. It was one of disgust.