Chapter Fifteen

Dedicated to my cuntface bestfriend xx love you Nelson.

“He’s so full of it.” Josh laughed.

“How so?”

“He probably just bribed him or some shit.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah this business is more profitable than you think.”

“Will I get in shit for swearing at Mr Opal?”

“You swore at him?” Josh giggled.

“Yeah I told him to ‘fuck off’ and that he was a fuckwit.” I shrugged.

“Aww that’s cute, my girl the little badass.”

I cringed a little at the term ‘my girl’. Like I was being owned.

“Aaron probably covered that too.” Josh assured me. “C’mon it’s lunch time.”

“Uh can we go somewhere where it’s just us?” I asked.

“Of course Jess.”

We walked down to the senior area, hands interlocked.

“W-we are not supposed to be in the senior area.” I said cautiously.

Josh laughed. “You just swore at the DP and now you’re worried about sitting in the senior area?”

“Well… yeah.” I answered weakly.

Josh laughed again and lightly kissed me on the cheek. He was being so sweet, but I wasn’t sure if this whole ‘relationship’ was a good idea. We sat down on a vacant seat. The metal was cold against the exposed part of my leg.

“Josh, I need to ask you something.”

“What?” he asked warily.

“Well, I was wondering if I could...leave the business?”

“What? Why?”

“Because I hate it Josh. It's making things too much for me.”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“No one leaves this business. You are in the business for life. Whether that life is long, or short. That’s up to you.”

Those words were sure to haunt me later on.

“But… I thought…”

“What? You thought if you dated me I would let you leave the business, just like that.” He clicked his fingers and raised his voice.

“No! No of course not.”

Yes. My subconscious corrected. It's the only reason I said yes.

“Yeah, I don’t believe you. I am going now. I’ll see you later.” Josh’s eyes were distant. I sat there for a second until I realised he wasn’t coming back anytime soon. I walked down to the basketball courts and decided to sit with Jack at his other group.

“Hi.” I said to Jack.

Tayla looked up. Tayla was nice I guess; she was convinced that I used to hate her. I didn’t though; I just didn’t take the chance to get to know her.

“Hi, what are you doing here?” She asked, there was no anger behind these words, she was just wondering. I knew this but the question still made me uncomfortable.

“Sorry I’ll leave.” I turned around to walk away.

“No, no. Sorry I didn’t mean to sound rude. Come sit down.”