40. Dark Secret

~==~ 4:45pm ~==~

The young man was a bit on the tall side, but shorter then the twins. Rather then standing 7'0" tall, he was roughly 6'8"; still large, but on the shorter side of demons of his breed. He had jet black hair, pale gray skin, his ears were long and pointed. He wore pants that looked like a galaxy, a baggy gray overshirt and purple undershirt, he had knee high, purple converses on, the toes a deep black with white speckles. The last significant detail was his tail, which was resting.

Derek kept his eyes on the corner of the room. He didn't break his attention from there the entire time he pulled his phone out, only looking away to search for Kyrie's fathers number.

The phone rang and was picked up quickly. "Hello?"

"It's me."

"Derek...to what do I owe this call? It's been a while."

"Todd, I think it's time we tell her about that."

Everyone in the room turned their attention to Derek.

Her father was silent. "Is he there?"

Derek looked back to the corner where the young man stood. "Yes."

Her father sighed. "I never meant to let it go this long, but now is the best time. We can't wait any longer if he has shown himself." The pain in his voice was evident.

Derek felt his own chest tighten. "Would you like to stay on the phone while I tell her?"

"Yes, please keep me on the line."

Derek put the phone on speaker and set it at the end of the bed. "Please wake her up."

Alexander glanced back at the corner again, but it was still empty.

Anthony gently shook Kyrie, it hadn't been long since she feel asleep, but he couldn't go against what Derek asked.

Slowly, she woke, her eyes finding Anthony's face, then moving to Derek's. "Why are you here?" She sat up and took a deep breath. "I promise I'm okay."

Derek knelt beside the bed. "Kyrie, I know you're not okay."

She yawned. "No, I'm okay...just a little tired is all. I've been busy all weekend with work."

He glanced at the corner again, then down to his phone. "Todd, would you like to tell her or should I?"

"Dad?" Kyrie noticed that Derek's phone had an ongoing call.

His voice was muffled as he spoke. "Go ahead Derek, he's there with her."

"Kyrie, there's something that your parents and I have kept secret from you...but something has come up that requires us to tell you."

She looked from the phone to Derek. Confusion was all over her fatigued face.

"Kyrie, have you ever heard of the Null phenomenon?"

Kyrie thought for a minute. "Yes, I think I heard about it."

"Do you know what it is?"

She thought again. "I do, but I don't remember right now." She yawned.

"The Null phenomenon is a rare case where an infant is born without a portion of their soul, normally they will not survive infancy, most are stillborn." He took a deep breath. "I also ask this: have you heard about the Demi classification?"

She nodded. "Immortal souls confined to a mortal shell...well, body."

Derek held back the urge to fight the young man, who had made his way to the end of the bed. He glanced at him briefly, which drew Kyrie's attention.