Chapter 5

( Matthews Prov) 

" Do you feel well enough to take first watch?" Arkarian asks with a yawn. 

" Yeah, I'll be okay, you need the sleep more than I do," I say with a teasing smile. 

"You seem fine, so I will get some sleep so I can walk on my own tomorrow," She says annoyance in her voice. 

" Hey, you don't have to give me the cold shoulder you know," I say. She stands up ignoring my comment and walks right up to me and  puts out her hand. 

"Goodnight Matthew," She says, I take her hand and I pull her down and hug her, in her ear I say. 

" Goodnight Arkarian," Than I let her go, she  stands up, just by the light of the fire I can see her face is bright red. She turns around and makes a bee line for a tree. She's going to run into it! 

" Watch out!" I yell at her, she turns around glaring at me. 

" I'm fine," She hisses and turns around to face the tree again. She doesn't run this time though, she walks a couple of more feet then jumps landing on the lowest branch and starts climbing. 

" Wow," I say in amazement. How can she jump that high?

( Arkarians  Prov) 

I sigh, finally, I don't have to be so close to him. The 'hug' runs across my mind, does he like me? No he doesn't! I shut that idea down fast. I look down to see him poking the fire, I can't look at him  right now so I climb even higher until I can't see him anymore down below. I sigh a sigh of relief. I realize I'm above the top of the tree and I see the night sky, the sky is filled with millions of stars. " It's beautiful, it seems like a dream," I say in awe. Than I get an idea, No one can see me from up here, it'll be okay. I just  can't help myself and open my 15 feet long midnight  black  wings. Next thing I know I'm in the air " This feels so much better," I say all stress magically gone. I start going higher and start doing loops in the air feeling the cool breeze. I'm in mid loop when Matthew pops into my mind, my wings stop moving and I start to drop fast. I flap my wings hard and fast trying to stop myself from falling. I look down to see the ground getting closer and  I realize it's to late so I close my wings and brace for the impact. I hit something but it doesn't feel like the hard ground.I slowly open my eyes to be greet by bewildered blue eyes. No one says anything for a minute just blue and yellow eyes locked into a stare. Matthew's the first to break the silence. 

" You come falling out of sky and you were to far to be falling out of the tree you were in, and what's up with the feathers?!" He asks still holding me in his arms.

" Let me up and I'll tell,"I say, he lets me up and I walk to a nearby tree and lean on it. 

"Where should I start?" I wonder. 

" Start with the feather," He says clearly getting angry. 

"Okay," I say flatly. I take a very deep breath. I know I'm breaking my rules by telling him this and him finding out, but it looks like I don't have a choice. 

"Th..There..m..my feathers," I stutter out turning away in embarrassment. 

"Is this a joke? If so I don't like it," He says crossing his arms. I shake my head 'no', he doesn't buy it so he leaves me no choice. I stand up and walk to stand by the fire. I take another deep breath. 

"You have to promise me not to tell anyone," I say with a serious look, he stares at me for a minute then he finally realizes I'm dead serious.

" I promise," He says nodding. 

" Good," I say taking a couple of steps back. I take a very, very deep breath putting my very existence at risk even with his word.  I close my eyes and  slowly begin to open my wings, when I'm done I open my eyes to see a wide eyed Matthew staring at me in disbelief. 

"Does this answer your questions?" I ask beginning to close my wings.

" Wait..," Matthew says trying to stand, when he finally does he limps over to me. He gently touches my flying feathers than work his way all the way to the small downy feathers between my shoulder blades, while he does this  I stay perfectly still. My curiosity gets the best of me though, I can't help but ask. " Your not afraid of me?" I say. He's right behind me and whispers into my ear. 

" Why should I be," That runs chills down my spine. I don't know how to answer that. He walks in front of my standing two inches taller, he's looks right into my eyes, I can't bring myself to brake our eye contact. 

" Your so weird," He says grabbing me by my waist and pulling me close than I feel his lips on mine, I close my eyes and it felt like we were the only living beings in the woods. I can't help but think this is amazing , he's amazing. My hand somehow finds his hair and it's so soft and fluffy. I don't realize it but my wings start moving and we start to go up, we are 8 feet off the ground when I realize I'm flying, my wings stop moving automatically and we fall to the ground with a thunk. Sh*t why did I have to ruin the moment I think mad with myself for doing that. 

" Don't pass out again and also don't do that again, I hate you," I say getting up off the ground and pulling my wings in. 

" Considering what just happened I don't think you hate me," He says breathing hard.

"I never said that," I say, I realize my breathing is hard also.