Chapter 41

* Akrarian prov * 

I jump through the window with a crash glass cutting face and hands. I land on the cool tile beneath fluorescent lights. I jump up looking around to see where I am. I landed in a hallway, luckily it's empty. I begin walking down the hall jumping at the slightest sound. 

" I need to get to the control room and find everyone," I say silently to myself. I was walking around the corner when I heard footsteps  I ran right back around. The footsteps halt not even a second after voices followed. 

" Sir, I just got word that the Devil has been killed. Along with Plegue and Nerd," 

" What!? How can that be? The devil is undefeatable," 

My blood goes cold as ice in my veins. I know that voice, it can't be..., he was taken, we've been looking for him. All this time he's been our enemy. I don't believe it, I refuse to. 

" Is that all you needed to come find  me when I am currently traveling to do my regular walk," 

" Yes, sir," 

" Very well, you may leave," After those words were said there was the sound of footsteps walking away. 

" How can this be, he's never been hurt no less killed before, I can't wrap my head around how he was murdered," He mumbles to himself as he begins to continue walking. Walking right around the corner. I freeze knowing he'll see me. He stops, the fluorescent lights making our shadows cross making it deformed. 

" I've been expecting you, we need to speak follow me," He said without looking to where I am and proceeds walking. 

" Why should I listen to you," I said getting wary. 

" Because I'm the only person who knows the reason why you and everyone else was created this way," He said as he stopped to turn around staring into my eyes " With these..." gifts "," you have. Then he continues walking.  

I don't respond but follow him, still cautious. 

We walk down a series of hallways until we reach a door. 

" Ladies first," He says as he opens the door for me. 

" If it's " ladies first " then you should go first," 

" Fine then, I was trying to be nice," He said as he walked through the door instead. I walk in after him. The room we walked into was a lab. He stops at a computer in the middle of the room. He types something into the computer and many screens around it light up. On one of the screens, a video starts playing. 

" Test subject one, day five after date of birth, gender female, she has been injected with scientifically altered bird blood. No major changes in the structure of the DNA, we plan on injecting her with more in five days, marking ten days after her birth,"  A male voice says. I walk over to the screen watching the video. It ends and Flint taps a couple more keys and another video pops up. 

" Test subject one, day thirty after date of birth, gender female, two days earlier she was injected with more of the altered DNA. We tested her blood and we found that there are changes in her genetic sequence she seems to be altering her DNA to fit with the one we injected her with. As a result, her DNA is changing along with her physical appearance as well. She seems to be sprouting wings between her shoulder blades. They are very small now but we expect them to grow along with her. As she grows she will be able to learn how to use them. More skilled than the most advanced bird as we know it." 

The video ends and Flint turns to me. 

" You were an experiment," He says. 

" It said, " test subject one" that implies there must be more," I said. 

" There was, but after they discovered that they can alter DNA and succeed they went insane, all the others died," 

" What is my purpose, there must be a reason besides just being an experiment," I said ignoring the knowledge that everyone else that was like me died. 

" Is there?" He said 

" I don't know that's why I was asking you, Mr. know it all," 

" What's the real reason you brought me here," I said. 

" You'll see," He replied as he turned back to the computer and typed away on the keyboard for a minute. When he was finished he shifted back to me smiling. I felt danger at the moment I turned to leave. 

" Oh, going so soon, I have some friends who are dying to see you again," Flint said still smiling with a glint now in his eyes. At that instant, I felt a needle go into my neck. My head was spinning until and my vision was blurry the last thing I saw was Flint's shadow looming over me then everything went black.