The Interrogation

November 6th, 2038
AM 12:41:07

Water pooled in your freshly-cleaned hands, stinging the blisters on your fingers as it slipped through them.  You splashed your face, trying to wake yourself up.  The steaming liquid left your skin dried and splotchy as it thawed, and you'd wished you had lotion to nourish it.  You looked in the mirror, pressing your hands along the granite countertop, arms locking to support your weight.

Bloodshot eyes peered back at you.  Black circles hung from them like curtains, encoring sleepless nights and diminishing hope.  Your lips were chapped, and you picked at the flaking skin with your teeth.  Your uniform was still wet and glistening, the weight of your drenched Kevlar vest aching on your shoulders.  Being rained on in the midst of a cold November night left you wanting, and it really didn't do anything for your hair.  But hey, at least they had the heat cranked up inside the precinct.

You smoothed the flyaways out with your slick palms.  Impressing anyone had never been the first thing on your agenda, and you tried to reason with yourself that things weren't different, even with Connor around.  You didn't know why you wanted to look your best.  You didn't even know what an android would consider attractive, or if they were attracted to anyone at all.  You didn't know why you were worrying about this with a case that needed closed so it would stop taking up your off-duty hours.

You pulled your jacket off a hook, and slipped your arms through it.

You had an interrogation to oversee.

...

Data flickered on the observation panel in the form of transparent holograms reminiscent of what you, Chris, and the rest of the team had gathered at the murder scene.  A cushion sagged under you, soggy and deflated.

"Here..." Chris slid a cup of coffee across the desk, dodging buttons and key-card readers, "You look like you need this more than I do."

"Thanks..."

You weren't going to argue.  You burnt your mouth, and one of those annoying little bubbles started swelling on your tongue.  This night sucked.

"Say something, goddamnit!"  Hank slammed his fists on the table inside the interrogation room.

The deviant remained stone-cold, never looking away from the cuffs that bound his wrists in place.

"This is a waste of time..." Gavin huffed, leaning against the wall.

You blew across the top of the coffee cup, trying to cool it off.  Stupid sips of "this is too hot," wasn't going to work tonight.  It was gonna go down in gulps, whether it liked it or not.

"Fuck it," Hank rose from his seat, "I'm outta here..."

Chris buzzed him through, but you fixated on the chained murderer.  The slight flex in his arms, the blood and scars that told a horror story - etched into his fabricated flesh.

But your focus shifted, blurring the heart-breaking scene and training on a different reflection staring back at you than it had in the bathroom.

Connor studied the deviant through slit eyes, his head tilting to the side.

"We're wastin' our time interrogating a machine, we're getting' nothing out of it!" Hank plopped in a chair next to Chris, his back hitting the lumbar support bar with the angriest of frowns.

"Could always try roughing it up a little." Gavin gave him his usual douchebag smirk, "After all, it's not human..."

Your lip twitched, as if the comment hurt you personally.   Maybe Chris was right, you were taking your stance on android personification too close to heart.