Call to Arms

November 10th, 2038
AM 10:34:42

"When pack meets with pack in the jungle, and neither will go from the trail,
Lie down till the leaders have spoken; it may be fair words shall prevail."

---

Elizabeth had her hand in the curve of your back, guiding you through the floor after the two of you had gone over costs, schedules, a plan of action...nothing friendly, or casual.

You sat, unnerved by the surrounding vacancies...

Chris's desk. Hank's.

Connor's.

The picture on his desk was gone, along with your car keys. You didn't have to check his locker to know that Anthony's clothes were gone, too.

Gone.

Connor was gone, and that, somehow, alarmed you more than the intense interrogation you'd barely survived. But an unexpected conversation kept you from dwelling on it.

"Thank you for calling me..." Elizabeth purred, leaning over Gavin's shoulder, "To say I was surprised would be an understatement, Mr. Reed."

He straightened his back. Seemed shaken, and had his leather jacket hung over his chair behind him. The buttons on his thermal were undone, one flap hanging on the side. His hair was disheveled.

"Thanks for answering."

You raised a brow, and quickly dove back behind your terminal when he caught you watching.

"My sister would like to hear from you, you know."

"No offense, but your sister shouldn't have fucked an android in our bedroom."

The rolling of wheels filled your ears rather than your eavesdropping, and you raised a shy pair of eyes to the Detective leaning back with his arms crossed; heels serving as a brake to his mobile seat.

He may have been worse for wear, but the "Gavin Scowl" was still going strong.

"You're a shithead, you know that?"

"Yeah." Your teeth squeezed against each other as you dryly swallowed, "A shithead in deep shit."

He shook his head, sighing through his nose before rubbing his eyes with two fingers, "'Yeah.'"

"Just remember what we talked about, and your friend here will stay out of federal prison." Elizabeth crossed her ankles, holding her briefcase in front of her with both hands, "It wouldn't be the first show her and I have run together, isn't that right?"

You gave her a nod, idly tapping your fingers on your keyboard.

"You two know each other?"

"She was my...our, attorney when Elijah and I still worked for...at, CyberLife."

"Ah, right, yeah...that whole thing. What in the actual fuck?" He tensed, his elbows sliding down to his thighs to support his weight as he looked at you, "What a fucking closet of skeletons."

"You're telling me." You frowned, "You don't hate me now, do you?"

"Hate you?" He scoffed, "That doesn't even cover how pissed I am. You fucking helped Kamski create-"

"Ahem...Gavin." Elizabeth looked over her shoulder at the cubicles filled with police officers; some with phones to their ears, others with coffee to their mouths, "Perhaps now is not the time."