Pandora

November 11th, 2038
AM 04:30:40

The human body is an exceptional tool.

There are functions that lie dormant until they heed the call of survival.  Evolutionary artilleries to be utilized when pitted against impossible situations; those put in our way to remind us that we are human.

Denial.  Greed.  Revenge.

These are dangerous instincts.  Genetically hardwired into our biological systems, tangled between societal standards and cultural acceptances.

Uncontrolled elements of life that are both our crime and punishment – the suffering from the human condition.

If androids were to be a new form of intelligent life, crafted to mimic these traits; both the good, and the evil...there would be a harsh lesson to learn.

"'It takes something more than intelligence to act intelligently.'"

A fissure had opened between the past and present, threatening to engulf the future...

The downfall of humanity, nosediving into that cataclysm, would not be on your hands.

"The deviant hunter turns deviant itself..." The imposter snorted, "Did you really believe we would let you compromise our androids so easily?"

You walked out from behind your Connor, armed with nothing but predatory tendencies and a knife for a tongue.

"You're not going to kill him, Amanda.  He made you."

Your eyes finally set with Elijah's.  There was a void there – no hope, no fear...just anger, like he was begging you to end this vigilante's life because he'd dared to cross paths with "Kamski the Great."

Eli had always been calm under pressure.  That part of him had been overshadowed by the shade tugging at his soul...but it'd never been expended.  He'd always be a rare mineral that wouldn't allow himself to turn into a simple diamond, destined to be cut and set in her crown.

Another topic of debate that you now believed to be true.

"You're attempting to call my bluff, but I'm afraid the deck has been stacked against you.  'Love always did have a price you were willing to pay,' after all.  What will you do when your debt reaches its limit, I wonder?"

"What are you going on about?"

"'It's possible to have love for someone and not be in love with them.'  You said it yourself.  How unfortunate will it be to have both the machine you 'love' and the great mind you have love for lying at your feet."

Elijah's features fell at that, a projection of longing and bone-shattering agony touching you from across the room.

"You...You said that?"

"That's not important right now." Your voice trembled.

You hated the man.  Hated what he did to you, what he turned you into.  But you believed, and deep down – no matter how much you fought to admit it, that he was salvageable.  There were still memories from before the fallout.  The toxic wasteland that represented your marriage could still be terraformed and grow new life, just in a different biome.

"You're right." The RK800 agreed, "What's important is that you and your pet surrender, and Elijah will be spared."

"How do we know you won't kill him?" Connor asked, unrattled and collected.

"I'll only do what is strictly necessary to accomplish my mission. It's up to you whether or not that includes killing this human."

"Don't you dare."  The fury in Elijah's demeanor had returned, "You cannot waste this opportunity.  Not after everything you've...we, have been through."  His eyes shook, "You can't let it be for nothing.  I can't have lost you for nothing."