We Are Legion

November 10th, 2038 
PM 03:37:23

"Wash daily from nose tip to tail tip; drink deeply, but never too deep; 
And remember the night is for hunting, and forget not the day is for sleep."

---

It could have all been avoided if they'd just turned around.

How an android who'd rallied newly-freed individuals couldn't figure that out was beyond your comprehension. The DPD had given them so many chances, and then chances on top of those chances.

And instead...

Jericho and their holy leader "chanced," fate.

[DET] G.REED: "Perimeter's empty. You guys need help?

[CPT] D.ALLEN: "Not now, Reed. ESG on the field-"

[DET] G.REED: "Holy fuck-"

[CPT] D.ALLEN: "REED."

C.MILLER: "Reloading!"

Chris took cover, and you stood. Aimed your Smart Pistol with your wrist on your shield's cutout.

Red circles closed in around 5 heads, all targeted by the auto-lock mechanism built from the minds of people who would know better than anyone on how to kill an android:

CyberLife, the people who gave life to androids.

Just like you.

"But 'the hand that givieth, also taketh away...'"

The trajectory lines moved as the androids charged towards you. Course-correction, even before fire.

They weren't kidding about "point and shoot."

So you did.

The chamber emptied in sequential order, shells rolling away from your boots. The androids fell, their bodies bending in a lifeless slump before sliding along the slick, now blue, cement. They became a dam to slow the flood of running feet of their living kin, but fueled the anger on their faces like an oil spill meeting an open flame.

You ejected the clip. Stuffed the empty socket along another slung around a belt on your chest. Pulled the hammer back, and lined up another array of cheap-shots.

C.MILLER: "Glad to have you back, partner. We are better together."

"Don't get cocky, Miller..." You huffed, "Still gotta get you home to Nina and Damion."

C.MILLER: "Yeah, and you home to...your condo?"

"Thanks."

Even in jest, the streets of Detroit were running with blood; arteries clogged with revolution and misunderstandings. Of intolerance and unjustified murder, on both sides.

But you weren't about to lose your city.

As many circles of Hell as it had dragged you through, it'd also provided a safe haven.

If you had to play the hand of God to protect that, then, well...So be it.

[CPT] D.ALLEN: "All units, switch to LAM targeting. Marauders...take to the field. Liam, stay put and hold the rear."

L.MILLER: "Overwatch, aye-aye."

J.COOPER: "Sure about that?"

S.TALON: "Those tossers are gonna regret this."