Overclocked

November 8th, 2038
PM 02:34:37

Chains rattled from the ceiling, each strike digging in layers of grain held together by tough nylon.  You cracked the logo with your knuckles in sets of three, side stepping when your elbow jabbed at the side.

Your breathing came in bursts; in through your nose, out through your mouth.  You were bouncing on your toes, but kept yourself grounded with each attack.

It hadn't been that long since you found yourself in DPD's gym.  It had been awhile since you had this much inner conflict to work through.

Shot by a deviant.  Punch.

Put on suspension.  Kick.

Shot again.  Elbow jab.

Suspended for the second time.  Crack.

Whatever was developing between you and Connor.  Inhale.  Step.  Strike.

Having to deal with Elijah.  Exhale. Stance switch.  Snap.

"What did that poor thing do to you?"

A plume of dust slipped between the threads at your last attack, and you wiped your forehead with the back of your hand.  Sweat seeped into the wraps on your hands.  You looked to the right to find Chris leaning in the entryway, separated by various workout equipment and mirrored walls.

"Better than a person, right?" You knocked against the punching bag, "I've been told that would be frowned upon."

"Well, yeah.  And it would get you charged with aggravated assault." He smirked, entering the gym and looping his thumbs on his utility belt, "Wouldn't want to have to arrest my own partner, now."

"That would make for one hell of a story, wouldn't it?"

You raised your fists, and kept beating the shit out of the hanging bag.

"Sure would." His back pressed against the wall behind it, "Sooo...Uh...Whatchya doin' here?"

You glared at him from under your wet eyelashes, your face hot and sticky.

"Just trying to stay in shape."

"That all this is?"

"What are you doing here?  Shouldn't you be working?"

He pursed his lips, "So like, you know how the computer always warns you to not save your password?"

"Yeah?"

"And you know how I forget what it is, pretty much every day?"

"...Yeah?"

"Well, I locked myself out." His mouth scrunched to the side, and his eyes fell in shame, "And uh...Tech support is 'unlocking' my credentials."

You huffed.

Wearing your heart on your sleeve was similar.  You wished it came with a warning to not stay logged in on a public network.  A suggestion to keep it locked away and safe from prying eyes.  You didn't uncheck that box, and your friends at the DPD were hellbent on cracking the code.

Chris wasn't exactly subtle with his frustrations, either.

"What's wrong?"

"I miss having dogs around here."

You stopped, brows creased in the center, "...What?"

"Don't you remember?" He yawned, "The K-9 Unit and police dogs?"