Vigilo Confido

"I am watchful. I am relied upon."

—-

On the edge of the great divide, there were no talks.  There was only an exchange of bullets. Onslaught. A test to see who had superior firepower.

An argument comprised of last words, exchanged with murderers, and the murdered...

Until you, arrived.

By an overwhelming show of force, and the façade of throwing your support behind the supposed victor...the fighting had stopped.  Both sides retreated behind their constructed borders.

The human military and their roadblocks.  Extendable, portable walls strategically placed to provide cover, the American flag waving farther back behind them – guarded.

The android revolution and their claimed territory, marked with rows of sandbags.  Markus stood at the head of that barricade, a digital flag planted at his side.

Pixels and floating particles waved at its human counterpart, a star-spangled banner with red and white stripes; symbolic pieces of stitched and projected ideologies buckling from a gust.

"He says thank you..." Connor mumbled, the two of you at the forefront of what was divine intervention, "He'd like to formulate a plan for 'our new numbers.'"

"Tell him this: I'm not here for you..."

A single man broke away from the human line; an act that, from your experience, came with great reprimand.

That rule didn't seem to apply to him.  He walked with the stature of someone uneducated in what it meant to be confined by boundaries.  It wasn't just that he was above the law...

He held himself as if he was, the law.

"...I'm here for him."

He who stood among the fallen, surrounded by the bodies of either party.  He'd sent his people to their deaths, ordering they share their fate with another.

He held a loudspeaker to his mouth, your name resounding through the wintry haze.

"...I've come to talk to you."

Perkins.

"Come on, you have my word." He nodded at his soldiers, "They won't try anything."

Your eyes narrowed.  Your fists clenched.

There was no one-way pane of glass to protect him, no interrogation room to hold you back.  He was vulnerable.  Desperate.

The human body count, the numbers of those lost...they were staggering compared to the androids that their cooled corpses kept company.

"Don't go..." Connor begged, "It's a trap.  He wants to get you out in the open."

You flicked your thumb with your finger.  Fought another tremor, another urge to fall into hibernation until this clusterfuck was over.  That wasn't an option.

There may have been no known alternative, but if there was one, it wouldn't be discovered by submitting to discord wrought by miscommunication.

Enough souls had departed by its evil touch, for one night.

"I should hear what he has to say..."

Perkins was the last person you wanted to speak with...and still, if he was willing to talk, that meant there was a plotbrewing.  A conspiracy.  A declaration of something more than war.