It Stared Back

November 8th, 2038
AM 11:33:27

Chloe's dress swayed at her knees as she traced the warpath ahead of you.  You kept your attention pinned between her shoulders; a dagger in her back – the world blurring around the machine crafted in your image.

Your boots beat the floor like drums, your pulse rallying a battle cry.  But your hatred found a focus; the imposter fading to fuzzy shapes as the colosseum of a room came back.

Two "clone" androids chatted at the edge of a pool inlaid with a blood-colored foundation, going silent as you stepped in to the arena. They were curious spectators, confused – unsettled by your presence.

Likewise.

Your legs locked in place, your feet in line with your shoulders; steady like a soldier.  Your eyes ran along the dazzling sea of red until you found the man who'd changed you – who took vows to have and to hold you in sickness and in health; only to leave you plagued with turmoil.

If he'd been the same monster he was now all throughout your time together, the separation would have been easier.  He used to be good.  Learning to live without him, that Elijah – was hard.  Having that Elijah turn his back on you, was devastating.  The betrayal of that Elijah taking Amanda's side over yours – that damage was irreparable.

He was young, and impressionable.  You were wise beyond your years, and tried to shield him from those who'd leverage his genius mind.  You were caught in the crossfire, a situation growing in familiarity, much to your disliking.

There was a certain sadness to it.  How both of the younger versions of yourselves, in their naïve innocence – gunned down by circumstance; laid side by side in their graves in order to create cybernetic life.  Perhaps they were happier, now, than the two battering rams aimed at each other; ready to lay siege on the fate of an entire race.

The difference was – your skeletons still patrolled this house.  Your demons had yet to be laid to rest, and the necromancer that sustained them with unhealthy devotion still found solace in tormenting you.

That was the nature of the beast, told by the eyes of the wolf staring back at you from the other side of the abyss.

His elbow was pinned to the ledge, his knees bent; ready to pounce, to drag you under and steal your last breath.

"I had Chloe run a diagnostic when she told me you were here."  He barked; disgruntled as if you'd disturbed his slumber.

He rubbed the water from his eyes, two fingers dragging along his eyelids before returning underneath the red veil.

"Well, here I am...in the flesh."  You gave him a cocky grin, "I'd imagine there's not much of that around here, these days."

There was a challenge to your organic declaration...

Elijah didn't respond well.

He sank in the water, the red line devouring his features until it hovered just above his twitching snout.  His furled lip.  His dripping fangs.

He dove underneath, kicking against the wall.  He swam closer. And closer.  Even out of touch, his proximity – to hear sounds that he was making-

"No heroics, you understand me?"

Hank lectured Connor behind you.

"Lieutenant, I don't think you understand."

You found his LED flashing red, fists balled at his side.  His eyes had lost their gentle hues, glaring at the threat who swam to the shores of his territory.