Lex Talionis

November 11th, 2038
AM 12:31:36

Shattered glass and shattering illusions were now indistinguishable. How carat-diamond shards of once forged, now sundered hope twirled under a night sky's spotlight; crash-landing into white waves of fine dust.

"Illusions are fatal."

Perkins.

He'd have an interesting choice of words for you right about now.

"See anything?" Chris asked.

More than you cared to share.

"They drove the truck clean through the store front..." You whispered, lowering your head back down, "Then they got out."

Their feet had crunched, and the doors had slammed. There'd been light conversation, but you couldn't distinguish what was being said.

"Where in the fuck is our back-up?"

"I don't know, but we have to keep the radios silent." Chris frowned, "Can't risk them hearing us..."

You shook your head, looking past him at the twinkling police cruiser waiting patiently for it's assigned unit to return. With all of today's newest technology, you wondered why there weren't "summon" buttons for vehicles like in the movies yet.

"It's alright." Markus said from a distance, "We're not going to hurt you."

Your throat closed as the voice echoed around you, caught on the buildings in the park like an amphitheater.

"Shit..." Chris's lips began to shake, and he bit his cheek, "Fuck!"

It was a whispered yell, a panicked swear.

"Stay down." Your jaw locked, and you gave him a nod.

"What-Get your ass down here!" You'd started to stand, but he pulled you down – hard, "What do you think you're doing?"

"We know you're there, officers." Markus continued; closer, "There's no point in hiding. We just want to talk."

You didn't trust him. Not with your life, not with Chris's, not with anything.

Your brows knitted themselves together tighter than your nerves, androids in the shops behind you staring you down behind barred windows with lifeless eyes.

"Say something!" Chris scolded.

You snapped back to him, "Listen, once he sees it's me, things aren't going to go very well. I need you to trust me on this."

"What?"

"Miller." Your eyes started to water, and you sucked down the plea just to spit it back out, "You have a wife. A child. A family. And now you have to trust me."

His brown eyes squinted and his chin cocked to the side like you were speaking a different language.

"I told you once and I'll tell you again." He fixed his grip on his shotgun, "You, are part of that family."

"God-fucking-damn-it Chris-"

You tried to catch him before his shoulder rolled and his knees straightened out.

You couldn't.

"You have the right...!" Chris yelled.

You sucked in a breath, the world minimizing in blurs and spinning lines as you took the corner and all but jumped to your feet, barrel pointed at the heads of the crowd.