Walking the Beat

November 9th, 2038

AM 11:05:02

Downtown used to be fun, until it became your office.  You and Chris had been responsible for cleaning up its messes on more than one occasion.  Bar fights, car accidents, parades, crowd control for community events; shit, there were some weeks where the last place you wanted to see was downtown Detroit.

That's probably why you and the rest of DPD preferred the hole in the wall that was Jimmy's Bar.

Still, mornings were pretty calm...unlike your stomach after drinking the agricultural-fuck-up-in-a-cup.

You checked your phone, waiting in line with Chris as he made idle chat with a man at a coffee stand.

[1 UNREAD TEXT MESSAGE]

Connor

Today 10:50

Stay safe during your patrol today, please.

To: Connor

No promises.

Message Sent

Connor

Today 11:06

>:(

To: Connor

Kidding.

Message Sent

Connor

Today 11:06

:)

You put your phone away, rolled up your sleeve and checked your wind-up watch to make sure you cranked it, earning you a weird look from the vendor.

"You stuck in 2018 'er somethin'?" He snickered.

"2018 had some of the best memes." Chris paid for your coffees, and handed you one, "Our legacy..."

You blew along the top, "I hope our legacy involves a bit more than memes, 'yeet,' tide pods, and dabbing..."

The man laughed, and gave Chris his change.

"Uh, sir-" He handed a bill back, "You gave me too much-"

"I can count, thanks." He smirked, blowing in his hands, "Neighborhood discount for the boys and girls in blue, eh?"

"Thank you." You smiled, "I'll take what I can get if I'm gonna deal with him all day."

Small things like that made the job worth it.  It was nice to know that people still saw you as...well, a person.

"Yeah...thanks, man." Chris stuck a $5 in the tip jar, "Stay warm out there."

"Yeah, yeah-" He waved you guys off, and you continued down the street.

You passed under a red-lit skybridge, taking a sip of the refreshing warmth as a police drone zoomed by.  Steam pushed from a manhole, swaying as a bicyclist left wet tread marks in the bike lane.  Snow still blurted out the sky, but trickled down on the street like dust from a shaken blanket.

Chris started cackling under his breath, teeth tapping the rim of his cup as he drank.

"What are you laughin' at?"

"Ahh, nothing.  Nothin' at all."

You pursed your lips, "Lies."

"Hah, okay..." He cleared his throat, "So...when Reed and I got to Eden Club, there was a dead body, dead android, the usual...well, the now, usual, right?"

You nodded.

"You shoulda seen Connor with all those...strippers?  Prostitutes? Whatever.  Sexbots."