On the Brink

November 9th, 2038
PM 04:41:34

You could've done without the talk with Chris about how much he didn't want to be evacuated, or how Hank almost punched an FBI Agent in the face as they dragged him out.  You could've done without the standing ovation when you entered the precinct alongside comments like, "Now we've got two 'Deviant Hunters' on payroll."

You would've been alright without the attitude from the DPD Android Specialist as she finished a sandwich at her desk, empty of work in the tech wing while you fished through Connor's locker for any kind of CyberLife care package.

"Bionic Omni Healer..."

You shoved it in your ever-growing duffle bag, packed with extra Thirium-310 and whatever else you'd scavenged.  A zipped-up replacement uniform lay flush against the inner wall of the locker.

"RK800."

A one-of-a-kind prototype, signed, sealed, and delivered straight to the DPD's doorstep.  One who'd literally had his heart ripped out and stomped on by another android.

It begged the question: How did he make it out of the shuffle?

"You just gonna stand there with all that inventory or are you gonna do my job for me?"

The specialist took a sip of her drink, screwing the bottlecap on tight.

"I'm gonna leave you to finish whatever you're doing while I keep the city from fucking falling apart."

She scoffed behind you as you left, and your TeleBand started vibrating.  It had a haunting chirp – like when Detroit tested its emergency sirens.

"This is not a drill-"

You clicked the button, "Yes, Captain?"

"In my office.  Now."

Captain Fowler disconnected, and you adjusted the thick strap over your shoulder.

You weren't out of the woods, just yet...

...

"I'm not even going to talk about what happened at the Stratford Tower." Fowler was sitting on the edge of his desk with a three-page-long report in a folder on his lap, "But attacking a CyberLife retrieval agent?  Drawing a shotgun on an unarmed civilian?" He looked up from the document, "What's gotten in to you two?"

You fidgeted, clawing at your wrist behind your back, "The CyberLife personnel tried to repossess Connor and destroy him."

"And the gentleman on Woodland threatened to 'put us down like he did his android,' after jumping in front of our cruiser.  High on Red Ice, naturally." Chris added.

You shivered at the memory of fists pounding against the hood of your patrol vehicle, and the sound of glass almost cracking as someone took metal to it.

"Miller, give us a minute."

Chris looked at you out of the corner of his eye, giving you a reassuring nod as he left.

"Do I look like an idiot to you?" Fowler sat in his chair, sipping at his coffee, "Did you not think I didn't know who you were and who you were running from the minute you stepped inside this precinct?"

You were stunted, hands slipping into the cuffs of your sleeves as you retracted into your DPD puffy coat for a shell.

"I didn't sign off on your paperwork just so you could use this department as a social platform for android justice."