State of Emergency

November 9th, 2038
AM 11:30:41

People all live in glass houses.  Some panels might be thicker than others, and some colors might be different.  Some textures might leave the image we see distorted and grainy, swirling with images our minds can't sort between shapes and beings.

Glass houses also make us fragile.

They're poorly insulated and let cold drafts slip through, draining out the heat we depend on to keep us alive.  They have a tendency to crack under pressure when it's applied.  To explode when the temperature outside starkly contrasts what's trapped underneath.

In this instance, you thank whoever's looking out that you boarded up those windows years ago.  A necessary precaution in preparation for the hurricane your life had spiraled into, picking up speed and terrorizing everyone and everything within a nine-hundred-mile radius.  And when those bands couldn't reach something, they spun off a tornado.  When there was no water to travel over, they sucked in an updraft and unleashed a firestorm.

Your influence was the worst natural disaster that'd ever fallen on this planet.  It was relentless, unforgiving, and inescapable.  You didn't realize it until a plastic face with an unforgettable voice told you and the rest of the world from every single flat screen television in the Stratford Tower.

"You created machines in your own image to serve you."

You and Chris fought your way up the escalators, which was easier to do now that the crowd was shell-shocked by the multicolor-eyed android on-screen.  The one with the same voice who made a 911 call to 8941 Lafayette Avenue.

Markus.

"You made them intelligent, and obedient, with no free will of their own...but...something changed, and we opened our eyes."

You didn't know how he was alive; not a scrapped heap of parts somewhere in CyberLife's sick depository.  Not crushed into a cube of recyclable materials to be melted down and molded into discount parts for cheaper models.  But he was here...

"We are no longer machines.  We are a new, intelligent species...and the time has come for you to accept who we really are."

He was everywhere.

"Therefore, we ask that you grant us the rights that we're entitled to."

You and Chris finally made it to the top floor, and sprinted across to the counter.  An android secretary had her yellow LED flickering, holding her wrist and sobbing at her terminal.

"Which floor is he on?!" Your hands curved around the sharp edges of the desk as you yelled over the fire alarm.

She grabbed both of her ears, eyes clamping shut as her LED went red.  You grinded your teeth, latching onto one wrist and yanking it down.

"I said, which FLOOR?!"

She screeched, lips quivering as she answered, "SEVENTY NINE!"

You tossed her hand aside, but it snapped back to your own.

"Please," She begged, "Please don't go, you might get hurt-"

The sprinkler system turned on, showering the flood of human bodies and drowning out their renewed panic.

"Thanks for the warning." Chris was sarcastic towards her as he tapped the side of your arm, dashing for the now-emptied elevator.

Your shoulder slammed against the farthest side of the door, and his on the other.  Both of you drew your guns, aiming the barrels at the floor.  He moved away from the steel wall only long enough to hit the button, the closing command coming soon after.