Wingman

November 7th, 2038
PM 03:46:38

You shut the door with the back of your heel. It'd been a boring afternoon after Connor left. You'd tried to clean the apartment, but that didn't work. You'd thought about taking your pain medication, but didn't want the grogginess that came with it. So, as any "responsible" adult would do – you went grocery shopping.

That's what life was without your badge. A choice between grocery shopping, cleaning, or answering any of the hundreds of scathing comments left on your blog; save for one or two. Not to mention, Fowler had shut down any hopes of coming back early with a measly, "Thanks."

Hours of critical thinking in order to better understand deviants, and you get a "Thanks."

It's not like you wanted to hunt them all down and kill them. But you also had a city to protect. People, androids – and if there wasn't a compromise found soon, you'd have a civil war on your hands...Blood, too. Maybe even yours, or-

You sighed, taking each item out of their respective bags, stacking them on the counter. A different type of packaging reminded you of the slight detour you took – a clothing shop that specialized in expensive suits and ties.

Your phone vibrated, and a song played from the confines of your pocket.

"Whoop, whoop! That's the sound of the police-"

Your nose crinkled, and you pinned it between your ear and shoulder, "What?"

"I've been trying to get ahold of you all day." Chris chuckled, "I know you've been getting my messages."

"I'm busy."

"Uh-huh. Listen, we're getting off on time again. Turns out, your boy really helps us stay on top of things around here."

You smiled, but Chris could never know that.

"I wanted to see if you were up for coming out tonight. We're getting together for happy hour down at Jimmy's. I'm worried if I don't keep you socialized, you might turn feral."

You snorted, "...I don't know, man. Not really feeling it."

"Come on. I need to hear stories about-"

"There are no stories, Miller."

"I might be a bad liar, okay, but my bullshit detector is crazy good."

You scoffed, "...I'll think about it."

"I'll take it. Alright, Fowler's giving me that look from his office...Should've called you on the work phone. Station's not the same without you!"

"Tch...Get back to work, slacker."

"Hah...Alright. Later."

"See ya."

You rolled your eyes, shaking your head as your thumb flicked through notifications on the screen:

[7 UNREAD TEXT MESSAGES]

Three were from Chris. A string of HELLO's, STOP IGNORING ME's, and WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS's.

Delete, delete, delete.

You opened the next one.

Gavin Reed

Today 12:24

Hope ur feeling better.

You scoffed, sending a cordial, "Thanks, Detective Reed."

Next message.

Hank Anderson