Listen and Obey

November 6th, 2038
AM 09:56:04

DETROIT CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT CASE FILE

AGENCY QIR NUMBER
SKE 477891

AGENCY CASE NUMBER
44- 70051

DATE OF OFFENSE
11/05/38

REPORT DATE
11/06/38

CASE REFERENCE
AGGRESION

VICTIM
TODD WILLIAMS

REPORTING OFFICER
ID#5649

CASE ASSIGNED TO
LT. ANDERSON

CASE STATUS
OPEN

INVOLVING ANDROID
YES

"The plaintiff claims he was violently attacked by his domestic android, an AX400 model.  The android had just returned from being repaired the previous day and had shown signs of aggression in the past."

You looked up from the file.  DPD's Central Station was booming – hustling bodies walked every which way, data pads in one hand and coffee in the other.  The phones rang off the hook, the chatter was loud...and the first thing you had to deal with after four hours of being in the hospital, and another four hours of sleep, was Todd-fucking-Williams.

Two-hundred pounds of slime ball, sitting on the other side of your desk.

His hair was matted, eyes sunken in their sockets and reddened.  His skin was greasy, and he had a disgusting odor to him.  The way he twitched was unsettling.

"You gonna keep fuckin' day dreaming or let me finish my statement?"

You ignored the numbed pinch in your stomach, shaking off the side-effects of your prescribed pain medication.

"I think I have all the information I need, sir.  DPD thanks you for your time."

His hands balled into fists, "That's it?  You're not gonna do anything?"

"Sir, if we could snap our fingers and make wanted deviants appear, our jobs would be a lot easier."  You sipped your coffee, returning the white mug to its coaster, "Have a good day, Mr. Williams."

"Fuck you." He pushed himself up, "Worthless fuckin' cops..."

He stormed off, scratching his ass as he rounded the corner.  You imagined a man whose daughter was missing would be a little more concerned.

The door to the officer's entrance clicked shut.  You jumped, hearing gunshots instead.  Blue blood took the form of spilled coffee, burning your hand and trickling in your lap.

You blinked rapidly, a sharp breath stinging as bruised abdominal muscles contracted.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

Chris lowered his jacket, hanging it on the back of his chair.  He took a seat next to you, your desks conjoined in the middle of their L-shaped bend.

"Mandatory overtime." You swallowed, "You?"

"Mandatory overtime..." Chris mumbled, planting an elbow on his desk, and resting his chin on a row of knuckles, "Can't stop thinking about last night...This morning...Whenever it was."

You crossed your arms, slowly leaning back, "Shit's getting old, I'll tell you that."

"I bet." His eyes flickered up to yours, "Why'd you do it?"