Abaddon

November 11th, 2038
AM 04:10:00

Snow fell like ash from blackened clouds, their linings turned silver by a replica of a hunter's moon. A full face of the sun's reflection, suspected of projecting lunacy – making people lose their minds.

You could blame your rash decision making on the full moon. You could blame it on the stars captured along the pillar of humanity, twinkling in the dark cylinder that held light hostage like the black hole it really was.

The gravitational pull of mystery...the air of danger...

"'The sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.'"

You'd been on the brink of death, had reached a transcendent clairvoyance when you teetered on the edge. Ten minutes past the witching hour, the world still needed cleansed of demons preying upon lost souls. It would take a certain kind of exorcism to purge this place clean.

"It's beautiful at night." Elijah drove across the bridge, drawing ever closer to Belle Island.

"Yes." Connor agreed, taking your hand – probably sensing your distress.

"You have some fucking nerve." You snapped, wishing you could just pull the trigger and never have to hear Elijah's voice again.

"What have I done now, 'dear?'"

"I know about Marco, and Operation Urgent Fury. What happened in Africa. The philosopher's stone you put in the 'garden.'" Your finger twitched, the curved metal it clung to trembling, "I know what you did."

"And I warned you that war was inevitable."

It was a quickdraw response. He was getting nervous.

"Why did I have to fall on the sword for this, Elijah?" Quick, angry pulls of air came through your nose, your heart stammering at each lung's inflation, "Why didn't you just tell me?"

"Because it was too late, alright?!"

He lost his cool. His "professional" demeanor. He lost the shield he held that protected him from being mortal, from making mistakes. He wasn't Elijah Kamski, in that sedan – not then. He was a scientist whose experiment had gone horrifically wrong.

"Amanda, she..." His nose twitched in the rearview mirror, "She had a way of getting in my head, of making me see things through tunnel vision. She explained away the incident in Africa with logic and talks of defective parts and-"

He swallowed hard, his knuckles turning white from his grip on the wheel.

"...She used me to propel her own agenda, and I didn't realize it until after the announcement had been made and production had started."

"That's not an excuse. You chose to inject instability into the veins of the world rather than face public humility."

"Would you have preferred I left no alternative? No emergency back door?"

"I would have 'preferred' that you listened to me from the start."

"You were right!" He yelled so loud it made you jump, and Connor guided the pistol's nose to the floor between your feet, "Is thatwhat you want to hear?!"

The tone in his voice brought back horrible, painful memories. The tightness in your throat, the ringing in your ears, the moisture in your eyes as your free spirit was beaten and battered...