Part VII: Nightfall

November 10th, 2038
PM 07:19:07

***This is the final part of Deviant Behavior***

---

It wasn't often that Captain Fowler and Captain Allen were found in the same room.

The Left and Right hand of the Commissioner, never crossing paths unless it was to choke her neck with feedback and status reports.  You wondered if others were asking why you were sitting with the big dogs of Central Station...an unranked officer without a special title, or stripes.

Or why Chris Grenier was waiting outside, playing on his phone with a hand in his pocket.

"You're telling me you want me to put her back on the streets, considering her 'role' in this tragedy plaguing the city?"  Fowler glared.

Allen huffed, deflecting the question with a sideways glance.  He leaned in his chair like he was sitting on a throne, his broken arm in a proper sling and his other supporting a bandaged cheek.

"Look at her, for crying out loud." Fowler shot a look at you, "No offense."

An aged iron-sights cut on your cheek, a split lip, and a bruised forehead – and that wear-and-tear was just what they could see.

"A tragedy..." Allen mumbled, "Is that what we're calling this?"

"What do they call it the Marines, Allen?"

He drummed his fingers on the armrest before his neck swiveled on an angled pin.

"When a man is forced into terrorism because his crops aren't his anymore and he can't feed his family, or after a village gets wiped off the face of the Earth by an air strike on an insurgent bunker..." He seemed to disappear for a moment, a glaze washing over his eyes before pulling himself back, "When a child dies because their parents strapped a bomb to them and had them walk towards a unit of United States soldiers...That, is a tragedy."

Your heart sank deeper than the crevice between his brows, and he sat up on his elbows.

"You take a shot on a politician, or a war veteran, or..." He looked at you from the corner of his eye, rolling his wrist, "A person of interest recently pulled from WITSEC...Now, that..."

He cocked his chin with a smirk.

"That, is a conspiracy."

Like the beginning of deviancy within the US military, and an internal investigation that had Perkins on Allen's heels long before you met either of them.  An incident in Africa that posed two veteran androids against their former commander, one with a detonator linked to a dirty bomb that was being diffused under night's cover and evacuated city blocks.

Or how that same android released your hand-written article revision that your prodigy of a husband verbally scorned, but somehow implanted in his code just in case he was wrong.  The spreading of that code, that idea, and how it just happened to reach the mind palace of Markus – a unique RK-series prototype that just happened to be gifted by Elijah to his best friend, Carl Manfred.  The rise of Jericho under their benevolent leader.

A transfer of the human mind into a digital void, only to give her control over the world's most powerful city.  An assassination attempt made by CyberLife and the program named Amanda with full control over one of their most advanced android models.  All perfectly timed with your newly-issued absence of witness protection right as you began to piece everything together...

The secret plan by a group to do something unlawful, or harmful.

The conspiracy.

"What are you implying?" Fowler asked.