On the Run

November 6th, 2038
AM 11:25:05

Rain pelleted the roof of your manually-operated car; an old thing from another life.  A different plane of time where you were given the wind-up watch with hands on your wrist, maybe the last one in Detroit.  That, and the heirloom revolver passed down from your closest family member, one with a recoil almost as unpredictable as you.

You were off the grid.  No phone, no laptop; nothing but a pencil and a flip notebook in your lap, your fingers pushed through thumbholes on your sleeves as you drummed an eraser against paper.  The hood of your thermal bunched behind your neck, almost forming a pillow.  A steering wheel dug at your knees, your driver's side chair locked and pushed down behind you.

The seal of your window hovered just below your line of sight.  You'd rolled it down, as your breath would make the glass foggy; and no android was going to miss that sure sign of a warm body.  You needed to guarantee no one noticed you.  You needed to be able to see outside...because this was a stake-out.

Detective Collins and Lieutenant Anderson were interviewing suspects across the street, their jackets slick and beaded with water.  They dismissed their informants, rejoining near the edge of the sidewalk.  Connor returned outside, the door to a supermarket shutting behind him.

You slid further down, reviewing your notes:

"1055 – Detective Collins and police arrive at location of sighting.

1115 – Police establish secure perimeter.  Hints suspect is nearby.

1120 – Patrols begin.  Officer Chris Miller trips on untied shoelaces.  Looks around and pretends it didn't happen.  It did.

1123 – Lieutenant Anderson arrives with the android you can't stop thinking about because you're an idiot and you-"

A noise broke through the gentle trickle of rain dripping between the gap of the roof and your window.  A harsh screeching – like metal scrapping along concrete; fighting against rusted hinges.  You looked up, your head rising only an inch.

The gate to an abandoned parking lot shuddered, a pair of careful hands closing it behind it's slim figure, topped with short hair.  A little girl walked out with the woman.

Your eyes widened, and you hunkered down – pinning your side against your door.  You couldn't see out of the window, but you heard their footsteps sloshing alongside the car.

"Come on Alice," The woman whispered, "Stay close to me..."

Their backs appeared in your side mirror, walking hastily down the street.

"1126 – Suspect sighted."

You flipped your notebook shut, stuffing it in your glove box and dropping your pencil on your floor mat.  You opened your door, staying crouched as you exited the car – locking it up behind you with a flick of your thumb.

Your hands traced the outside, your fingertips curling around the trim as you peeked towards Anderson and the rest of them.  They were all talking.  Distracted.

You lifted your hood over your hat.  You stood up straight, ignoring the agonizing tension in your stomach.  You stuffed your wet hands in your pockets.

"1127 – Officer ID#5649 in pursuit."

You made the mental note, the deviant and child rushing along the edge of your view.  You blew a soggy strand of hair away from your eyes, keeping your head down.  The soles of your boots stuck to the ground and released slick noises, your wet footprints bleeding into the drenched cement.