Part IV: Daybreak

A/N: Connor is AFK again for most of Part IV after something happens, and comes back at the chapter called Exodus. I had to post short chapters more frequently rather than longer chapters less often because of my work schedule at the time, which is why it's more spread out. If you don't care what happens in between, that's fine, but I don't need to hear about it. Thank you!

November 10th, 2038
AM 05:00:02

Gavin puffed a cigarette, bandaged to the nines in fresh gauze.  You leaned against the column, towering over his wheelchair.  Your arm was in a sling, still sore and torn.

Neither of you were supposed to be outside.  You'd just been shot, and he'd been trapped here for two weeks already.

Yet here you were, sneaking him out for a cigarette; hiding under the overhang of the Emergency Room roundabout.

"What's your biggest fear in life?"

You didn't have a decent answer prepared.  Just kept zoning out in that lifeless daze that was coated in Anthony's blood; your cognizance swept away by his last, dying breath.

"Spiders."

"No, dipshit..." He took another hit, coughing as he let it loose, "I mean your real fear.  Shit that keeps you up at night, kind of fear."

You looked down at the bandage across his nose.  Cheek.  Jaw.  Arms.

He'd almost died; savagely.  Stabbed and cut 17 times.  Mutilated in ways that would've broken a lesser willed individual.  You'd taken a bullet, sure.  That was child's play compared to what Reed had been through.

Yet here he was asking you the tough questions.

"My biggest fear..." You dug deep for it, sifting through all the sarcastic, deflective answers to uncover the truth, "Is death."

He laughed.  Choked.  Coughed and beat his chest, "You?"

He turned around, wheeling himself to face you, "The most irresponsible cop I know is scared of 'death?'"

"Well...Dying of old age doesn't scare me." You frowned, "It's dying before I achieve what I want to in life that does.  Like getting so close to finding that absolute self-validation, and missing it by an inch, kind of fear."

"You're doing a fuckall job of dodging that one."

You grinned.  Remembered the quote that was Anthony's favorite.

"'That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.'"

"Tch...Yeah..." Gavin flicked his cigarette straight at the NO SMOKING sign.

He gave the city a forlorn, almost homesick gaze before wheeling past you.

"...And that which does kill us, makes us dead."

...

A small nudge on your shoulder had you murmuring in your pillow, but a soothing voice and a soft pair of lips tickled your ear.

"Wake up..." There was a smile to the words as your name slipped through them, a delicate kiss landing on your temple.

Your eyes blinked away, sore and heavy from not getting enough sleep.

"Here..." Connor was holding a washcloth, "Close your eyes."

You sat up, rubbing the tired away.  Gave him a groggy stare before he held the back of your head, gently pressing the cloth against your eyelids.

"JESUS-" It was ice cold, and sent a jolt through your body, "What was that for?!"

He gave you a playful smile, "To help you with the 'booting' process."