First Responder

November 10th, 2038
PM 01:05:05

"The jackal may follow the tiger, but, cub, when thy whiskers are grown,
Remember the wolf is a hunter—go forth and get food of thy own."

---

Chrome turned orange as the deployment light pulsed – fading in and out from behind a cage mounted on the border between the cement ceiling and walls.

You stood in front of a shiny new human-sized tube, its doors sealed tight with the CyberLife logo laser-engraved on tempered-glass.

You and the other women were told to wait, and with havoc being wrought outside; it was difficult.

You let your mind wander, and your eyes drift. Locked on three red tubes with a very different logo branded on the crimson cases.

Dire wolves – each bearing their teeth with dripping fangs and an eyepatch covering their left eye.

The Marauder insignia.

All the necks in the room swiveled towards two blast doors that withdrew into the walls. Three women, the trio who those special equipment units belonged to, entered the armory.

"Awe, look at them...my poor, sweet dears."

Sage Talon.

"'Sweet' gets you killed. Best to be sour at the bite."

Akane Mayumi.

"Cut the bullshit."

Liera Lastimosa.

"Alright ladies, play time's over." She addressed you and the other trembling officers as she marched down the aisle, scowling under her breath and lifting her badge to an electronic scanner.

The curved doors broke apart, the hydraulics keeping them steady as they unlatched with a muffled whine and a plume of fog.

It was one of those contraptions that sounded like efficient ingenuity. Like it was a healthy machine, designed by the best engineers and manufactured by artisan hands.

Sage and Akane followed suit.

"Pst," Tina whispered, and you looked to your right, "Scan your badge. Do what they do."

You raised a brow, tilting your head to look behind you at the Marauders waiting for their compartments to open. Switched back to Tina, and shrugged.

"Seems like a good idea."

You removed your badge, holding it to the black screen.

"ID#5649 Confirmed – Please Standby."

Your pair of doors gave way to a chamber reminiscent of full-body scanners at an airport. Just like one of those, you stepped inside, turned around, and hitched your breath as a black ring lowered; a mesh of green lights sweeping over your body.

When the ring hit the floor, and the thatched scanners hit either side of your boots, a notification flashed up above.

"Please raise your hands."

A sudden movement caught your attention.

Straight ahead, dead center in the opposite row, was Liera.

She had her palms open, elbows out and bent at a slight angle; hands raised over her head as she let out a tired yawn.

You assumed the position, and the circular scanner started to rise.