Divided We Ambush

Author's Note: Hey, guys!  Sorry for the radio silence responding to comments or inbox messages.  I've been getting my ass kicked by college finals.  I'll catch up with you shortly. <3

In the meantime...

---

November 10th, 2038
PM 02:25:41

"Ye may kill for yourselves, and your mates, and your cubs as they need and ye can;
But kill not for pleasure of killing, and seven times never kill man."

---

A tranquil mind in harrowing times is the most coveted form of transcendence. To not share the same fears as others, and have your worries misplaced so that you remained unpredictable.

That wasn't you.

[CPT] D.ALLEN: " Calvary, you are to charge and replace the wall. All boots on the ground – rally at my position. Converge on me, Roman Formation!"

The horses had charged, and the riot had been pushed back behind the park's established perimeter held by recycled police officers, Gavin included, that once babysat the media and civilian bystanders. The tear gas had evacuated them. The humans, had fled.

Those who suffered the human condition, had not.

Now, there was a different wall. A different formation.

A dissimilar set of orders that rolled off a shaken voice, however tranquil the mind that dictated the words.

[CPT] D.ALLEN: "Riflemen, ready up."

19 shield-bearers that no longer had the immediate concern of humane disorder took to a knee...

And the 20th, well...

You needed some convincing.

C.MILLER: "Come on, partner..."

He patted your shoulder, his eyes on your HUD, comforting.

C.MILLER: "It's just a precaution."

Your worries had been misplaced – misdirected, to the android with caramel skin and mismatching eyes; one of which came from Chloe. They held no emotion; no concern. He just waited.

He waited alongside North, and Josh. A blue-haired Traci, holding hands with a woman. A man wearing a cape of sorts with a tattered face, a Thirium-colored scar splitting his cheek. Another man in a grey military jacket with patches along his sleeves...

The same patches on his comrade's cape...and the insignias were familiar.

You'd seen it somewhere before, but couldn't remember where.

You cocked your head, squinting at the pair as you planted your knee and the end of your shield in the thin layer of snow.

The stock of Chris's gun leveled with the top of your head.

"Something doesn't feel right..." You murmured.

C.MILLER: "You noticed?"

A light breeze swept a glittering curtain across the divide; flakes of ice reflecting red and blue lights from the trucks humming behind you. The pumping helicopter blades circling overhead switched direction, its tail throwing a shadow over the glistening wall of steel aimed at Jericho.

L.MILLER: "Captain, I've got a clean shot on the leader. Want me to take 'im out?"

[CPT] D.ALLEN: "We're waiting on orders from-"