thirty one

Jobas pov

I sit in my car for a couple minutes before working up the courage to just go up to Billie's door and knock. I look at myself in the mirror and examine my hair. I can't tell if it's too messy or if it fits the casual look I have going on. I put on the best outfit I could find. Best as in the only once I was able to put together that didn't make me look like my usual self. I often wear what I find comfortable which give people the impression that I'm a lazy bum and I put no effort into fixing myself up.

This time, I try to keep it casual but not too casual. I want Billie's parents to like me and from hearing about how it went with Tavia, Ill admit I am nervous.

I have one a navy blue adidas polo and some baggy jeans on. I figure it's just a family dinner so anything too formal would be an automatic disapproval. I grab a bouquet of flowers I bought earlier and carry them with me to the door.

Billie opens the door invites me in. Her mom is finishing up dinner. I've never seen her before but I can definitely see a resemblance between her and Billie. They have the same dark brown wavy hair and both are petite in size. I close the door behind me and follow Billie.

She introduces me to her mom as Bella, "Mom, this is Joba". She blushes.

I smile politely and hand her the bouquet, "These are for you. Billie tells me how much you love to have a vase of flowers out".

She smiles impressed and recieves them after thanking me. She fills the vase with water and adds the flowers in. "These are great, thank you Joba. Why dont you have a seat? The spaghetti is still boiling. It'll be ready in half an hour".

I nod smiling.

I sit down for a second before getting up to meet Billie's father after he walks in the room. My nerves all of a sudden reappear.

He takes his glasses off, "hello there. you must be Joba. Im Parker". I shake his hand. It's rough. He goes to the kitchen.

"Hi", I attempt to sound confident.

"Is it okay if I go to my room? I have to grab something", asks Billie. I nod.

I take a seat on the living room couch. The same spot I sat in when I first came to their house. Although I don't think Bella and Parker are aware of that.

Parker sits on the sofa perpendicular to me. His leg is folded on top of the other and his arm rests over the sofa. "Tell me about yourself Joba".

I look at him afraid I might say the wrong thing or give the wrong answer. I hesitate before answering, "Well I just moved back to Houston for my last year of I love music and I sometimes make it... I think your daughter is great and I'm glad i met her".

He clears his throat, "youre a senior? How old are you son?". Fuck. Maybe I should have mentioned that. It's not a big deal but it seems like it is to Billie's parents. If I say I'm 18 I don't know if that would sound like a good or bad thing to them.

Before I get the chance to answer Billie comes back. She brings back a bag of Yorke chocolates. She opens them with a smile making me laugh and eats one. She motions the bag towards me offering me some. I shake my head.

Bella shouts from the kitchen after hearing the plastic bag being ripped open, "Billie, you're going to ruin your appetite. Put those away. Dinners ready!".

We're served dinner by Bella and it smells really good. I love spaghetti, it's always been my favorite. My mom used to make it all the time but I haven't had it I've moved.

"Thank you, this is good", I say after taking a couple of bites. Bella laughs and so does Billie.

"Where's Matt?", asks Parker.

Billie shrugs and continues slurping the noodles.

"So about music. Do you and Joba do that together?".

I nod, "I've known Matt for a couple years before I moved away. It's how we met along with the rest of the group". I spark up a conversation.

Bella adds, "I heard you on some demos Matt showed us. I though I recognized your voice. Good vocal Joba".

"Now is this long-term for you?", asks Parker.

I feel interrogated but continue, "I feel so. It's really the only thing I've found to love doing".

Billie changes the subject and starts to talk about the most random thing ever.

He mumbles under his breath. We finish dinner and I help Bellla clear the table trying to be polite.

"Thank you Joba, you can put the plates in the sink and I'll wash them". I set the plates in the sink and rinse my hands.

I thank her and her husband for the meal and decide it's time to leave. Billie walks me just outside the door. She closes it and hugs me.

"Thanks for coming. Sorry if that was a bit too much for you. But just know I appreciate it. I think they might like you", says Billie.

"Might?", I say concerned.

She laughs at me. I brush it off. I didn't think I'd feel this way when I met her parents. Two days ago I didn't think this day would come any time soon.

I never had to meet Sahars parents when we dated. Mostly because she didn't have parents. She did but they were never a part of her life she says.

Billie's great. I just love her and I hope he parents give me a chance. I know how strict they are. It wasn't bad but I feel they kept their opinions and judgements to themselves. Especially Parker.

Billie sees through me and reads my mind. "Hey don't worry about it. They will. I love you". She gives me a peck. I thought I was the one who's supposed to comfort and make her feel better. I love her for that .

I hug her for a while and say goodbye. I would have kissed her but I might not be surprised if either of her parents would be peeking through the windows.

When I arrive at my brother's all of my stuff is thrown on the floor in the living area. Jon looks a mess and is spread on the floor as well. He looks fine.

"What's my stuff doing on the floor?", I ask puzzled.

"You're moving back with mom and dad. They called and asked how you were doing in school".

I grab my stuff and pile it together, "No I'm not".

He continues, "Well you're grades are slipping... again. I don't have a say, I tried but they're not having it".

"Well can't I just stay here", I ask not still not knowing what's going on.

He shakes his head and hands me a trash bag. He's a good brother. I'm now definitely screwed but all my thoughts keep going back to Billie and how her parents there's any way her parents will like me now.

I'm stupid and homeless.

•••

OKAY so I'm so confused of what happened to The Best Years of Our Lives!! But IRIDESCENCE bitch I'm ready for it. I'm beyond proud of Brockhampton. And can I just say how adorable it is that most of their gfs have flied out or are flying out London to be reunited <333

Enjoy this chapter :D